Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to setup an IRS.gov online account when it isn't recognizing any of my financial account numbers I've entered? I need access for the tax credit payments.

I have copied and pasted the numbers, with the exception of my credit cards, directly from the websites. I even used the Experian website and it still is unable to verify any numbers I have provided. I need to update my information and manage the payments but without access, I'm unable to do so. I was unable to find any help through their FAQ pages either.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there a way to setup an IRS.gov online account when it isn't recognizing any of my financial account numbers I've entered? I need access for the tax credit payments.

have you tried manually entering the info. cut and paste can sometimes contain embedded info that you can see, but that means what you entered isn't valid.   crdit cards are probably not valid for depositing the advanced child credit.  bank a/c or debit card.  some bank a/c's have different routing numbers for deposits than for checks.

and have you used this webpage

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021 

When I got my IRS online account a couple years ago, the verification method involved cell phones. But because the IRS could not find my cell phone number in whatever government database they were using, they mailed a code to the address on my tax return, and I was able to enter the code and complete the registration once the letter arrived.

Unfortunately, it seems that the IRS has changed their verification procedures for establishing new online accounts, and since I already have an account, I can’t try to sign up again to test the new verification procedure.

You may be able to go to a local IRS office to verify your identity, but I don’t know if they have open office hours yet and they are backlogged with everything due to Covid.

If you already have an established account with the IRS you cannot open a second one with the same SS#.   

I have tried that. This is only to verify my identity and they are unable to verify debit cards. Since I've posted this question I have reached out to the IRS but I received an message that they will be getting back to me within 4 business days and I don't fully trust that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies