Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my Property Damage Release check entirely taxable?

My car was damaged at a grocery store on a windy day by a rolling empty shopping cart. Luckily I had a non-relative witness who verified my report, as well as collision coverage. I agreed to have the repairs done at a body shop on the store’s insurance affiliate’s “preferred” list—to whom I paid my $750 collision deductible. A few days later, in return for signing and returning their very detailed Property Damage Release, the store’s insurance affiliate mailed me a check for approximately $1,500 as a “Full and final settlement of all claims.” (That’s the phrase on the sheet from which I tore off my paper check.)

My question: Is any of that approx. $1500 taxable income, which I need to enter on the TurboTax “other income” page?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, that income is not taxable income that needs to be entered on the tax return. If you receive insurance money for damage to your car, the IRS does not consider that taxable income. Instead, you have received an adjustment to the cost basis you have in the property. Therefore, if you paid $20,000 for the car, and receive $5,000 for damages, your cost basis is now $15,000, which only affects your taxes when you sell the vehicle. Any money you receive over and above the cost basis amount when you sell is considered a taxable capital gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, that income is not taxable income that needs to be entered on the tax return. If you receive insurance money for damage to your car, the IRS does not consider that taxable income. Instead, you have received an adjustment to the cost basis you have in the property. Therefore, if you paid $20,000 for the car, and receive $5,000 for damages, your cost basis is now $15,000, which only affects your taxes when you sell the vehicle. Any money you receive over and above the cost basis amount when you sell is considered a taxable capital gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies