Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Is it even possible to file for an extension from the desktop turbotax deluxe 2023 (electronically)?

Here is an FAQ: How to File an Extension

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is it even possible to file for an extension from the desktop turbotax deluxe 2023 (electronically)?

It's NOT possible to E-file the Federal extension from TT Desktop. You need to print it and mail it. It must co$t them extra to allow you to do that so it's not included.

i dont 'owe', and anticipate a refund.  subsequently, on the page for "Your extension results", the ONLY button option is the "PRINT EXTENSION" button.

are we suggesting that i chose the "i owe button" and then pay a 'made up amount' JUST so i can electronically file for an extension?

Secondly... IF i DO have to print, Q: as long as its mailstamped with todays date, it should be ok?

You cannot e-file the federal extension from the TT desktop app. You need to go on the TT online version if you would like to e-file. Or you can go to another vendor online as well. I used TaxAct.

How ridiculous! You can't file electronically after paying $95 for TurboTax. What is their problem? They will help you fill out a form and then give you a mailing address.

U can’t e-file an extension while in the TTax app

You have to go to the website, log in, scroll to the bottom (below the part where they try to sell you se you already bought) and THEN CLICK extension

yiu fillnin a few things, create a 5 digit passcode and then it will tell you success

i got an email confirming it was processed.  And then a couple hours later I got confirmation it was accepted 

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Extension links for federal and states below.

File federal extension online here

State extensions can be found here if needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dev-null1
Returning Member

Sorry. No. The online thing was too klunky and not easy to find what values to enter. Not to mention, it was a whole other out of app login. I went with the tip to go through help to find the secret handshake to get the desktop app to get you to where it should have been readily apparent option in the first place, like every year preceding this one..

dev-null1
Returning Member

Thans. Looks like that takes you to the online version. Not interested.

dev-null1
Returning Member

Agreed. In my case I had to also pay some. However, I did notice on first time back to TT desktop it seems confused that owe $0. But I think that's OK as I had not changed any values yet since sending the form and check out.

Hell0

Yes, you can use the desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe 2023 to electronically file for a tax extension. Within the software, requesting an extension is simple. You don't have to bother about post office lines or printer ink. Please let me know if you require any help with the procedure!

Regards

Nikki Harris

Purva Aerocity

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies