Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdmeder72

Is anyone else having an issue with your returns getting rejected due to the California middle class tax refund? I have completed the updated question recently adied.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Is anyone else having an issue with your returns getting rejected due to the California middle class tax refund? I have completed the updated question recently adied.

The MCTR is not taxable on the CA tax return, but no guidance has been provided by the IRS as to whether or not it is taxable on the federal tax return. If you received a 1099-MISC with the MCTR payment in box 3, you should go through the comprehensive 1099-MISC flow in TurboTax to enter the amount. There will be a question asking if the payment is for the California Middle Class Tax Refund. Select “Yes” to automatically exclude this amount from federal income. On the federal tax return, the MCTR payment will reflect as a positive amount.

Please fell free to contact Turbo Tax Support if you continue to have issues. Click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rdmeder72

Yes, I have done that, and I'm aware of that. I've "fixed" my return and submitted five separate times, but it's still coming back rejected due to the CA MCTR. 

I have same problem. Both federal and state returns rejected twice.

Yes!! I was rejected 3 times as well. I even contacted an ‘expert’ via chat twice. I was told after the 3rd rejection, that they are working on fixing it but it may be after the 28th ( tomorrow ). I asked if we would be notified when it was working correctly and they advised no.

So frustrated! if anyone has luck, please keep us updated! I don’t any to submit again until it’s fixed! 

People are posting that Customer Service told them the efile rejection is suppose to be fixed on Monday Jan 30.  So try Efiling after Monday.

awesome, thank you! 

user55551
Returning Member

Yes I’m having the same problem. It’s frustrating.   Both returns keep rejecting me. I thought I corrected it. Been on phone w turbo tax people 

user55551
Returning Member

Same exact thing here it’s frustrating 

user55551
Returning Member

Same exact thing here it’s frustrating   And I’ve paid to have them do the taxes, they need to fix it

user55551
Returning Member

Same problem 

user55551
Returning Member

Gee I hope so

This was a last minute change to how that CA item was to be reported on the federal return and they added the step but it still has bugs ... just need to wait for them to get it ironed out.  

user55551
Returning Member

Thank you

Hello, has this issue been resolved? Has anyone resubmitted their return and had it accepted yet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies