Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

staufenberger
Returning Member

Is anyone else getting incorrect calculations on the Recovery Rebate Credit?

Entered $3600 when prompted should not have calculated an additional credit due of $1200
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

What are your specifics?  Why do you think it's wrong?  Are you claiming dependents?

The Stimulus Checks are really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

staufenberger
Returning Member

I know exactly how it is supposed to work. We are married filing joint with no dependents. Got our full $3600, ($2400 in April 2020 and $1200 in Jan 2021) Even though I entered $3600 in the program TurboTax still gave me a $1200 credit. 

staufenberger
Returning Member

VolvoGirl: No. No dependents. Just a simple joint return for a retired couple. I know I'm not entitled to a credit. I ebtered the $3600 that we got when it asked, but they calculated a $1200 credit anyway.

staufenberger
Returning Member

I called them about it but customer service didn't seem to worried, I had to insist they forward my complaint on to their programmers to research.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I tested in the program TTO Deluxe and it calculates correctly.  I am attaching two images below to show how it looks on the screen.  

Make sure you enter 2400 in the first box as first round then 1200 in the second box as second round.  Check there should be blank on line 30 of your Form 1040. 

The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the CARES Act.  If you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. To learn more, click here: Recovery Rebate Credit

@staufenberger

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
staufenberger
Returning Member

Thanks LinaJ, Can't get back to it now, already submitted.  Just have to wait until it's accepted and file an ammended.

UPDATE - NEW,  you can recall your return to update it for the credit........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-ve-already-claimed-the-recovery-rebate-credit-ho... 

Cool. The thumbs up is still not working for me so 👍

Rehiguera

I know this a bit old, however just got a letter from IRS stating my refund was being adjusted. Seems that both my life partner and myself, who both used Turbotax and listed we received the full stimulus, still got listed as erroneously qualifying for $600 In Recovery rebate refund. Seems Turbotax has (or had) a bug in their tax software. BTW, we did our taxes in early February. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Rehiguera We apologize for the inconvenience. Let me clarify, it was hectic in February with everything changing daily. A few customers did have an erroneous entry.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
staufenberger
Returning Member

Thankfully, after I figured it out on my own, I called IRS before they got too busy, and they put a note on my tax record. Last week I got the paperwork to correct it and we are all squared away. Turbotax did not help me after I reported the mistake. Take that back - they did email that they were going to let me adjust my return before it was accepted by IRS. I waited and waited for the infamous email to give me access to my submitted return, called several times (no one knew about it) till I got to a tech person. He was the only one who would admit that the email probably wouldn't come in time because they were overloaded. He was also the only one who knew what he was talking about - the email never came! In the end the IRS fixed my problem. Might be the only time I ever said thank goodness for the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies