turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRRMA

The "cut-off" for IRRMA increased from $174K to $176K (1.15%). What is the 1.15% increase based on? I think the inflation rate for 2019 was 2.3%. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

IRRMA

The rate determination is based on several factors, inflation being one of them. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) calculate IRMAA and publish this amount yearly in the Federal Register.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRRMA

I looked at the hyperlinks in your response and didn't see anything on the actual formula to calculate how much the Level 1, 2, etc. MAGI limits go up each year. If inflation is one of the factors, what are the other factors and what is the formula? Thanks.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

IRRMA

This information can be provided by the Social Security Administration, which is the agency that determines the rate each year. 

• Social Security Administration: call 1-800-772-1213

IRRMA

I would think the exact calculation would be available online, however I haven't found it. For married filing jointly, the maximum MAGI before any increase in Part B and Prescription Drug premiums, increased from $174,000. to $176,000. I know the calculation rounds to the nearest thousand, however, I'd like to see the calculation so I can estimate the increase/decrease next year.

I think it's based on the CPI increase, however, I don't know how to check the arithmetic. I'm hoping someone can show me the calculation. Thank you.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

IRRMA

I would not count Medical News today as a good tax website but your question is not tax related. I believe this may help answer your questions. See What is IRMAA? Income brackets, costs, and calculations

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies