turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kctitze
Returning Member

ira contributions

Reviewing my deductions and credits. I see entries for IRA contributions and self employed or simple. I maxed the IRA contribution and the self employed or simple shows same amount.  It looks like I'm taking a double deduction ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

ira contributions

Which did you contribute to? IRA contributions are entered in Deductions and Credits. 

Employee contributions to a SIMPLE IRA plan are not deducted by participants from their income on their Form 1040. If you participated in a SIMPLE IRA plan through your employer, the amount contributed into the plan is already excluded from your Gross Income (Box 1 of W2) for Federal Withholding purposes. It is only considered as income for Social Security and Medicare withholdings. When you enter the information from your W2 (Box 12, Code S) into TurboTax, the program will maximize your return according to the type of contributions you have made throughout the year.

Your SIMPLE IRA contributions do not count towards your Traditional IRA contribution limits.  

However, a SIMPLE IRA counts as an Employer Sponsored Retirement Plan, so the ability to make a Deductible IRA Contribution phases out at certain income levels depending on your filing status.

You can check out the TurboTax FAQ below for more information on Deductible IRA Contributions: FAQ

kctitze
Returning Member

ira contributions

It is entered a self employed 401k and there is nothing entered for a SEP or Simple. But when reviewing my credits and deductions there is an entry under IRA contributions For $$$$  and the same amount is showing up as Self Employed  SEP or Simple

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

ira contributions

The solo 401-K shows up on line 15 of form 1040, SEP/Simple and qualified plans. The IRA contribution shows up on line 19. If you have entries in both boxes, then you would add them together to get your total deduction.

So, from what you said it looks like you doubled up your contribution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies