Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Hi ladies ! I hope this helps : Caled H&R Block they did my IS Form last 2 years.and shows my money was deposited 4/15 (not a clue)

Then I talked to someone in Treasury and Only my husband”s portion ($1200) went to Child Support call [phone number removed] follow up with the offsets department with your social security number. It will show the amount was taken and for what agency. If they can’t help you get a Tax advocate in the IRS website depending where you live.  If that doesn’t work call Child support (where the mother of the kids has the case) and ask them if they returned your portion.  My husbands ex told me if once she receives it if it has mine she will give it to me but I know not all cases are the same. So technically my husband s 1200 went to child support and my part is lost” 🤷🏻‍♀️

I hope you all get the money you are entitled of , because this was all wrong from A to Z hurting the new spouse and fam ! Not fair ...... at all!!
Any other info I will share with you all. 

DP01
Level 3

This was updated on the IRS website on May 4:

Q26. If I owe tax, or have a Payment agreement with the IRS, or owe other federal or state debts, wi...

A26. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Stimulus Offset.jpg

its about Fn time they addressed this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only took weeks!! we had to sit around and wait for everyone else to get theirs!! wonder how long it will take to see the money. 

Thanks for this. This is the best update I've seen. Both my income tax refund and stimulus was erroneously offset. I'm glad they've addressed it directly, now my concern has been put at ease.  Now...it's the waiting game. 

MakkiyahX

How long will it be before there are LIVE agents available at the IRS to at least let the injured spouses know if/when we will be getting our monies? It seems like for all of us whom have already filed a 8379 this year and have gotten their refunds, this whole thing would have been sorted out before sending out checks. They haven't even mentioned the 8379 filers on any news or press releases and it's quite stressful.

Why do you keep repeating this same answer that isn't very helpful at all. Most people have already had their 2019 tax returns processed, so there will be no future "processing" of the 8379 form. And anyone who has yet to have their tax return processed has already had their stimulus seized - which is a 2020 tax item, not a 2019 tax item.

Stop giving the same old "expert" answer - it's useless and confusing.

@briquewest19 wrote:

Why do you keep repeating this same answer that isn't very helpful at all. Most people have already had their 2019 tax returns processed, so there will be no future "processing" of the 8379 form. And anyone who has yet to have their tax return processed has already had their stimulus seized - which is a 2020 tax item, not a 2019 tax item.

Stop giving the same old "expert" answer - it's useless and confusing.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A26. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

@MakkiyahX wrote:

How long will it be before there are LIVE agents available at the IRS to at least let the injured spouses know if/when we will be getting our monies? It seems like for all of us whom have already filed a 8379 this year and have gotten their refunds, this whole thing would have been sorted out before sending out checks. They haven't even mentioned the 8379 filers on any news or press releases and it's quite stressful.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I agree Iam starting to think it is maybe automatically responding because it says the same 

Screenshot_20200505-123617.png

AE95A6FB-6CCA-4B11-BDF3-D198998147A8.jpeg

B05EE3FF-D181-42E6-923F-CA2C3F2EDE90.jpeg

DP01
Level 3

@briquewest19 The post was provided for anyone who had not seen the update on the IRS website, which was updated yesterday, May 4, indicating that they are now aware of the situation, are working on it as quickly as possible, and injured spouses will receive their portion of the stimulus as soon as the issue is resolved.  I am sure many found this to be a helpful and reassuring post, as did I when I read it.  These forums are here for us to share information as we find it available.

But mine wasn’t offset , where is it? 

DP01
Level 3

@Lolatalavera Well, it certainly is a mess!  Looks like you have contacted the correct departments in search of yours.  Mine is still showing direct deposit to my bank account on April 15 on "Where's My Payment" although it was mistakenly offset with my husband's.  I hope we  both receive it soon!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies