turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Yes. Thank you. It did ask for “amount received” and as of Jan 29th when I filed...I had only received 1/2 the amount which is the exact amount I entered. Unbeknownst to me, they were planning to deposit the additional amount in 2021 after I had filed. I did request an itemized statement and received it showing the breakdown. I understand why they did what they did. Just hard waiting well over an additional 14 weeks since it has been resolved. Especially during this time of need. I’m hopeful it will still come this year. Thanks again!

The same thing happened to me! IRS told me, with the 1st stimulus payment no law was in place to stop child support from taking half the funding. So because I received half and the other half went to child support, I  am not eligible to claim or get that amount back. All other stimulus payments have laws in place to protect us so child-support cannot take it. 

The really messed up part for me is the money that child support took was not my debt but husband's. I was told last year when they took that money that I just need to file the injured spouse form after the fact (I had already filed taxes before the 1st stimulus, and owed money which I did pay). I did that and the IRS (months later) sent me a letter saying oh sorry, we can't process the injured spouse form because you were not owed a refund on your taxes. Um duh, I was filing the form for the stimulus, as I was advised. Spoke to a person and was told oh you have to claim this on your 2021 taxes at this point with the Recovery Rebate Credit. Ok, did that and oh now I'm ineligible? I call BS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies