Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

So I don’t have to do anything right?  They will just automatically refund my portion back to me since I did an injured spouse form with my 2019 tax return?  And I filed that form the last 4 years with my taxes. 

I contacted my local Tax Advocacy Service and filed form 911. The advocate called me the same day I filed the form, and she told me that my record showed that the IRS had until May 4th to fix their error. If it was not fixed by then, then I could call back on May 4th, and they will open a case for me. So, I would recommend that when the government opens up, I would contact the Tax Advocacy Service and see what they want to do about your stimulus. Not only did the child support department take my portion of the stimulus, but they also took my tax refund. I did file Injured Spouse. This is just a tragic error that has affected a lot of people. Contact your Tax Advocacy Service. See where they guide you. Good luck to everyone. 

That's great information what state are in

I reside in West Virginia. When you file injured spouse the IRS Where’s my Refund tool never works. So, I go online and get my tax record. It’s how I knew when they were supposed to deposit the refund into my account. But, it is also how I found out they screwed up too. I called the Tax Offset department, and under my husband’s social security number, it revealed all 4 payments made from the IRS to WV DHHR. I was furious and hurt at first, but after I got my emotions under control, I started searching on what to do. I called EVERYBODY. Of course with no one in the office at the IRS, that was a waste of time. So, I contacted the child support office. They have flagged the account for when the money hits, but that’s about it. They do know there is an Injured Spouse claim filed, so they won’t release the money for 6 months. The Tax Advocacy was my last call, and she told me after May 4th, she would open a case on my behalf, and she could then give me a timeline on when I will get my money back. As for the stimulus, she stated the government hasn’t released how to handle that yet, as it is new and the government is closed. However, when it reopens, they will fix their error. I read earlier it will be an 8-11 week wait from the date of deposit. Now, I will have to wait and see if that is true. I’ll update everyone after I speak with the Tax Advocacy department tomorrow. 

But you didn’t get it ?

Wao ! Thank you ... how to contact Tax Advocate?

I have already submitted my 2019 return to the IRS, I only needed to submit form 8379 again because the Child Support Office requested another form in order to receive my portion of the stimulus.

Thank you.  You have given us some hope but here in Texas the Child Support Office has asked for a second injured spouse form.  

I am in the same boat. I filed the inj spouse in January for 2019. I already recived my full Fed refund, but then i get two letters in the mail, one for just my husband and one with both of us saying our stimulus was taken (a total of $3400). I waited on hold for over an hour to finally speak to someone at the treasury. She told me to file another injured spouse form and include a letter stating i already filed one with my 2019 return and already recieved my fed refund and that this inj spouse form was specifically for the stimulus check. I probably wont hear anything for atleast 2 months, but the treasury representative was confident i would eventually see the stimulas check... We shall see.... 

I already filed the injured spouse for my 2019 taxes however they still took my stimulus and sent me a letter from us treasury. I thought you said we didn't need to fill out injured spouse twice. PLEASE HELP

Do not file another Injured Spouse form. They will use the one you have on file. 

As long as you filed already you do not need to if it was included with your taxes filed

I called treasury and there is no offset under our social security numbers! So where then can be my check????????

And you received yours but not your husbands?

I have not recieved anything 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies