Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

inheritance reported on form 3520 so how to complete form 8938

I received a  $200,000 inheritance from Canada last year so I will report it on form 3520. I also have to file form 8938 every year for my bank accounts I have in Australia (where I live, I am US citizen). The inheritance was deposited into my Australian checking account. Instructions for form 8938 say that you don't have to report any asset that is reported on form 3520. So does that mean I report the maximum balance of my checking account as if the inheritance was never deposited?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Generally, you don't have to duplicate an account on Form 8938 that was also reported on Form 3520.  This would apply primarily when the form is used to report a foreign trust (another use of the form aside from reporting the foreign gift/inheritance). 

Include the amount transferred to your Australian checking account on Form 8938.  There is no tax associated with your balance so there will not be any negative consequence to including the amount. 

Since high balances, not final balances, are used on foreign bank account reports it is fairly common that money is "double-counted" due to transfers between accounts owned by the same taxpayer.  It is not uncommon that the form appears to overstate a taxpayer's financial position on these reports annually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Generally, you don't have to duplicate an account on Form 8938 that was also reported on Form 3520.  This would apply primarily when the form is used to report a foreign trust (another use of the form aside from reporting the foreign gift/inheritance). 

Include the amount transferred to your Australian checking account on Form 8938.  There is no tax associated with your balance so there will not be any negative consequence to including the amount. 

Since high balances, not final balances, are used on foreign bank account reports it is fairly common that money is "double-counted" due to transfers between accounts owned by the same taxpayer.  It is not uncommon that the form appears to overstate a taxpayer's financial position on these reports annually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks SusanY1 for your reply. That makes sense to me.

When it is reported on Form 3520, it just reports the amount, not mentioning the bank name, the account number. But Form 8938 needs to have the Bank name and account number.  In other words, Form 3520 needs only the total amount of money, not the specific account infomation,  right ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies