Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can you upload a 3115 form to turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

In order to file a Form 3115 in TurboTax program, you would need a TurboTax desktop version to complete the entries.  You cannot use the online version, unfortunately.  If you are currently using the online edition, please follow the instructions below in TurboTax online edition to switch to the desktop:

1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 3115 and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to Form 3115 

4.  On the screen, Change in Accounting Method, select CD/Download version of TurboTax to continue

5.  Once you are in the CD/Download version, use Forms View to enter Form 3115.

• At the right upper corner, select Forms 
  • Under Forms mode, at the left upper corner, select Open Form, type in 3115 to open form to enter information

can this form be efiled?
GSep

The link to the CD version in the Form 3115 results in an error.  

"We're sorry, the page you requested could not be found"

@GSep wrote:

The link to the CD version in the Form 3115 results in an error.  

Update your TurboTax software.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

Form 3115 can only be accessed in Forms view.

Form 3115.JPG

GSep

The link shown on the online TurboTax Form 3115 page to access the Desktop version results in the error.   

I am not able to access the desktop version.

@GSep wrote:

The link shown on the online TurboTax Form 3115 page to access the Desktop version results in the error.   

I am not able to access the desktop version.

If you are using the TurboTax online editions then you will have to switch and use the TurboTax desktop editions if you want to complete a Form 3115.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to switch to the desktop editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

GSep

To access the Form 3115 from the online version, is it required to purchase the desktop version separately and then pay again to complete the online version?

tseymour
Returning Member

The form 3115 is only available in the TurboTax desktop version (CD version).  You can't link to the desktop version, you need to download it, install it, and open it. The link you found was supposed to take you to the https://turbotax.intuit.com/ page where you can find a CD version.  At that website use the Products and Pricing Tab to find information on CD/download products.

When you buy the CD version you don't need to also buy the online version.  You can efile using the CD version.  BUT you can't efile if you include a form 3115.  You'll need to paper file.

@GSep wrote:

To access the Form 3115 from the online version, is it required to purchase the desktop version separately and then pay again to complete the online version?

No you do not complete the 2019 tax return using the online editions if you are going to complete and file a Form 3115.  You purchase the desktop edition then complete and file the 2019 tax return with the desktop edition.  The online account is no longer used.

Pirates

The step 5 opened the form 3115.

Thank Yoy

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not support the preparation of IRS Form 3115.  See form instructions.  

However, the form can be accessed in the Desktop versions.  See this TurboTax help to report a change in accounting method.

@Pirates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I already input all the info for my 2021 taxes using the online version but asked for an extension(I haven't printed north submitted my 2021 taxes yet).  I need to submit form 3115 for a few of my properties in order to take cost segregation deductions for those properties. After I download the desktop version, can I transfer the info I already input in the online version of turbotax for 2021?  Also, does the desktop version allow you to take the special deductions for such properties in 2021 once you change the accounting method for the properties in question?  Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies