turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In my 2020 tax return, I'm able to request missing stimulus payments for 2019, but where to request my missing 2019 tax refund?

I'm still waiting for my 2019 tax refund. Can it be addressed somewhere in my 2020 tax return? If not, and if it's still in processing,  is there any deadline for my 2019's tax refund?   What should I do to avoid it being totally forgotten?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

In my 2020 tax return, I'm able to request missing stimulus payments for 2019, but where to request my missing 2019 tax refund?

No, you can't request your 2019 tax refund on your 2020 tax return. 

Does your 2019 tax return show as filed in TurboTax? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No you can get the 2019 refund on your 2020 return.  Each year is separate. 

Did you efile or mail your return? When? They didn't start opening the mail until June that was stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.
See this IRS page for the latest information
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

If you efiled....Was your return Accepted?When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

Then only the IRS can tell you. IRS Where's my refund https://www.irs.gov/refunds/
Make sure you are using the refund amount from your actual federal tax return and not the combined amount Turbo Tax showed you at the end. That was for federal and state combined.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  what does it say?

Also see this re 2019 refund delays:

Still waiting on the IRS? | Nation and World | nny360.com

Yes. I completed 1040 efile in April 2020.  No issue in past years. 

if you did an e-File, you need to call IRS to find out what's going on with your 2019 tax return.

Thank you for your timely reply. I do need a further help! My case is not normal. So normal procedure to follow up didn't work.

Here is my case:

On April 4, 2020, efiled and got 'accepted' email. 

On Sept 2, 2020,  received a letter from IRS asking for form 8962 and 1095-A. 

On Sept 3, 2020, mailed the requested forms.

For a few times in Nov and Dec 2020, checked the status with SSN and the exact refund number, got 'Still in process'.

On Dec 7, 2020, mailed a letter to IRS seeking for an answer.

No mail response so far and 'no status available' when checked the status in Jan, 2021.

On Mar 8, 2021 today, checked the status with the same numbers, got 'You may not have entered your information correctly'. It goes in a dead loop.

What's wrong? How to bring this to IRS someone who can look into my file and find out?

I do hope a call can solve this issue. But callings can hardly get through.  I wish it offers a special line for people who are unable to even find out the status.  I don't mind waiting for it due to IRS short handed but I worried about my file maybe left out of the track for some mishandling.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies