turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2210: Line D Withholding-1 keeps telling me it does not equal the total withholding for the year. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

Form 2210: Line D Withholding-1 keeps telling me it does not equal the total withholding for the year. How do I fix this?

If you see this error, enter any value in the boxes indicated. This will force the Form 2210 to calculate. Then, select the Tools option on the left menu, and then Delete a form. Delete Form 2210 and run the review again. The error should be gone and Form 2210 will be removed from the return. 

What happens if I need to file a form 2210, the error keeps occurring and I need to fill this in as it reduces my penalty.

Did you ever receive a resolution to your question?  I have the same issue.

dmertz
Level 15

When you are annualizing, you can potentially get this result due to TurboTax's method of rounding that does not follow the IRS rules for rounding.  Instead of summing the dollars-and-cents withholding amounts from each of the sources of withholding then rounding to the nearest dollar as instructed by the IRS, TurboTax rounds each separate item of withholding, then sums the resulting whole-dollar amounts.  To determined the total whole-dollar amounts needed when annualizing withholding in TurboTax, take the amount of withholding from each source you've reported, round it to the nearest dollar, sum the rounded amounts, then split that sum into whole-dollar amounts among the four tax quarters.

daa
Level 3

im having the same issue but my wh is $182 less that total wh per w2 entered for the year, please advise. thank you in advance!

@dmertz 

dmertz
Level 15

daa, if the total withheld does not agree with the total withholding shown on your Forms W-2, check your entries.

We are in the same situation. We can’t complete our filing because of the 2210 disappearing column of the fourth quarter on Line D Withholding. This seems to be a software bug.

Did you ever get an answer to how to get around the software bug that doesn't show the 4th box in line D of form 2210, as we're encountering that now as well.

dmertz
Level 15

When annualizing withholding you must enter the amounts for all 4 quarters and they must total the actual withholding.   Revisit Other Tax Situations -> Additional Tax Payments -> Underpayment penalties, answer Yes when asked if you want to Annualize Withholding, then make the necessary entries or delete all four entries.  If any amounts are entered, all four must be entered even if the entry is $0 for a particular quarter.

Couldn't finish my filing and would not let me even pull up or edit Form 2210. But since I am Tomb Raider and was lost in the jungle, my natural instinct as an explorer would not let me give up and just deleted the form. 

fresh18

Best advice ever! Thank you CherylW!

Sam95

Worked perfectly and I was able to proceed with filing my taxes.  Thank you! 

LDUB45

Thanks CherylW that did the trick for me! Truly appreciate that!

Pamela66

It worked! I managed to delete Form 2210, and then i was able to file. Thank you very much!  Pam

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies