turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My files say accepted but I got a letter in the mail saying my federal return won't be processed until I send in a 1095?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

47 Replies
we3fish

My files say accepted but I got a letter in the mail saying my federal return won't be processed until I send in a 1095?

I have a 1095 C but got a letter that I need to file a 8962 because they think I got 1095 A
cosmozack

same here

I actually got a 1095 B covering 3 months of 2016 whats the deal there?

@cosmozack  - See this FAQ:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2920030-do-i-need-to-enter-a-1095-b">https://ttlc.intuit.com/quest...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
edena02

can I print a 8962 form

Yeah, this is irked, I have a 1095 C, daughter a 1095 B and mother 1099; it's crazy. How do you prove a negative?
codyjn62

Thank You, any help on the fax cover sheet info?
hallam100

I got a letter in the mail saying my federal return won't be processed until I send in a 1095 A and a form 8962.

What are the instructions for 2018?

What are the instructions for 2018?

I got a letter from the IRS say they need a 1095A and form 8962 for 2018. Turbo tax did not generate 8962.  What do I need to do?
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you have received a letter from the IRS asking for form 8962, Form 1095-A (Letter 0012C) first, please check which tax year the letter references.  If your notice does not specifically ask for a recalculated page 2 of your 1040, you may disregard that part of the directions. You will only need to provide what the IRS requests in their letter.

Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return. It’s used to calculate the amount of your Premium Tax Credit and reconcile any advance payments you received to help pay your health insurance premium.

We’ll help you complete this form with Turbo Tax and you do not have to submit an amendment, just print off and return the forms which the letter specified.  If the letter is for tax year 2017, follow the directions below. If the letter is for tax year 2016 or 2015, please click on the link at the bottom.

1.       Sign In to Turbo Tax

2.       Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents 

a.       If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show

3.       Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue

4.       Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online

5.       Do not click continue on the “We’ll help you change (amend) your return” screen. Simply go to the left menu and

6.       Click on the Federal and then the Health Insurance, at the top

7.       Answer the questions about your health coverage

8.       Select Yes, "Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2017?" to enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.

9.       On the That’s all we need on your 2017 coverage screen,

10.   Click Done with Health

11.   Select Tax Tools, on the left menu

12.   Select Print Center

13.   Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns

14.   Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need

15.   You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with

16.   Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A  (if needed)

a.     Or you can select forms filed with the government plus all worksheets

17.   Then, in the upper left corner of the pdf window, click on the download arrow and simply print those specific pages from your downloaded pdf or select the printer icon to print directly from this pdf window.

Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter (or fax number)

• Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
  • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • A copy of the IRS letter that you received
  • (If your letter asks for it) Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A

For letters for the tax year 2016, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5824742

For letters for the tax year 2015, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5239521

You may also use the TurboTax Audit Support Center for additional help and information responding to the IRS notice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aclifton
Returning Member

mine says the same thing, so I returned the forms, but now the website will not update or even say that they have gotten them, or things changed. I faxed mine in, and its been well over 21 days since I filed. How much will this delay the refund coming?

rrivas20

How do I do it for the tax year 2019? I filed already and received the letter from the IRS requesting a completed 8962 form and a copy of my 1095-A form

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

TurboTax changed the location for the entry of the Form 1095-A when Congress lowered the penalty for not having health insurance to $0.00.

For 2019 use these instructions to generate a Form 8962:

1.  Sign In to Turbo Tax
  2.  Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents 
  3.  If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show
  4.  Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue
  5.  Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online
  6.  Do not click continue on the “We’ll help you change (amend) your return” screen. Simply go to the left menu and
  7. Click on the Federal and then
  8. Click on Deduction and Credits in the upper portion of the page.
  9. Scroll down and click on Medical, Show More.
  10. Choose Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) by clicking on Start or  Revisit
  11. Enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.
  12. Click through the ACA section
  13. Select Tax Tools, on the left menu
  14. Select the Print Center
  15.  Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns
  16. Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need
  17. You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with
  18.  Form 8962 and Form 1040 (if needed)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies