turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skip-whitehurst
Returning Member

My wife is self-employed and I'm retired; can we enter premiums for our ACA Marketplace plan on form 1095-A?

We have no employer-sponsored plans available; COBRA continuation was exhausted. 

Self-employment income exceeds the premiums paid. 

No subsidy on the marketplace purchased plan; we paid full freight on the premiums.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
RichardG

My wife is self-employed and I'm retired; can we enter premiums for our ACA Marketplace plan on form 1095-A?

Yes, your wife's health insurance premiums are deductible as a business expense.

Here's how to report that business expense:

• Open your return and click Federal Taxes>Wages & Income.
  • Continue to How do you want to enter your business income? and click I'll choose what I work on.
  • Select Update for Business Income and Expenses
  • Select Edit next to the business
  • Scroll down to All Other Expenses and select Start or Update
  • Select Start or Update for Self-Employed Health Insurance Premiums

As a self-employed person, you're allowed to deduct premiums up to the amount of your net business income; the premiums will appear on Line 29 of your Form 1040. Any payments that exceed your net business income will flow over to Schedule A as a personal medical expense. We'll automatically handle the line items and calculations for you.

skip-whitehurst
Returning Member

Thanks for the answer, TurboTaxRichardG.

The Box next to the Self-Employed Health Insurance Premiums line in Other Expenses for the business just wants me to type in a number; it doesn't have a start or update button.

The Learn More link for that item states "Do not include health insurance purchased through a Health Insurance Marketplace (also known as an exchange). These premiums are entered on Form 1095-A in the program."

At the bottom of Form 1095-A (forms view) is the Business Related Premiums Information Smart Worksheet box, where my wife's Sched. C business is selected. By "related", do they mean "apply these premiums against this income"? If so, we're good! We would have purchased the coverage regardless of having the business income or not, and I'm a bit unsure about the meaning of "related" here.
RichardG

If you are reporting your premiums under the Health Insurance tab, do not report the premiums under business deductions.  Yes, click next to schedule C and select your wife's business to link the two forms.
skip-whitehurst
Returning Member

Thanks! I appreciate the help!
sdmmktg5

Is one place better than another or does it matter? I have form 1095-A and have placed it in the Health Insurance tab.

thanks

@sdmmktg5 wrote:

Is one place better than another or does it matter? I have form 1095-A and have placed it in the Health Insurance tab.

thanks

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies