turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work and live in Mississippi and my wife works and lives in Georgia. How should we file? If jointly, who's address do we use?

When we use the Georgia address only on our federal form then Mississippi says I should file a non-resident state form. But then they threaten to revoke my homestead exemption on my property taxes (in MS).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work and live in Mississippi and my wife works and lives in Georgia. How should we file? If jointly, who's address do we use?

If you and your spouse are filing a joint federal return but you work in or are residents of different states, you may need to file separate state returns. Sometimes this is required by state tax law; other times it is to your best interest to not include your non-resident spouses income on your state return. Otherwise both states may try to tax the same income. 

The calculations you need to do can be done in TurboTax online, but it is easier to do them with the desktop software.  And you can file up to 5 returns using the desktop software.  It will be tedious, but it is the best way to accurately minimize your taxes.

Please follow these instructions from TurboTax on this subject: 

1. You'll prepare one married filing jointly (MFJ) return to file with the IRS.
  2. Prepare a "mock" married filing separate (MFS) tax return for each taxpayer. This is for your records only, and will be used to generate separate state returns for each person. The mock MFS returns are not filed.
  3. Then for the first taxpayer, label and use the first "mock" married filing separate (MFS) federal return to prepare their state MFS return, using only their income and their half of the deductions from the MFJ federal return. 
    This ensures that TurboTax only transfers the first taxpayer's income to their married filing separate state return. File this MFS state return, but not the mock federal return that it pulls the information from.
  4. For the second taxpayer (spouse), label and use the second "mock" MFS federal return to prepare their state MFS return, again using only their income and their half of the deductions from the MFJ federal return.
    Again, 
    file the second MFS state return, but not the second mock federal return that it pulls the information from.

Be sure to name each TurboTax federal return so you know the MFJ federal return to file, and which mock MFS federal and state return is for which person. 

Note:  State returns prepared using the "Mock" federal returns will require you to print and file your state return by mail.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you and your spouse are filing a joint federal return but you work in or are residents of different states, you may need to file separate state returns. Sometimes this is required by state tax law; other times it is to your best interest to not include your non-resident spouses income on your state return. Otherwise both states may try to tax the same income. 

The calculations you need to do can be done in TurboTax online, but it is easier to do them with the desktop software.  And you can file up to 5 returns using the desktop software.  It will be tedious, but it is the best way to accurately minimize your taxes.

Please follow these instructions from TurboTax on this subject: 

1. You'll prepare one married filing jointly (MFJ) return to file with the IRS.
  2. Prepare a "mock" married filing separate (MFS) tax return for each taxpayer. This is for your records only, and will be used to generate separate state returns for each person. The mock MFS returns are not filed.
  3. Then for the first taxpayer, label and use the first "mock" married filing separate (MFS) federal return to prepare their state MFS return, using only their income and their half of the deductions from the MFJ federal return. 
    This ensures that TurboTax only transfers the first taxpayer's income to their married filing separate state return. File this MFS state return, but not the mock federal return that it pulls the information from.
  4. For the second taxpayer (spouse), label and use the second "mock" MFS federal return to prepare their state MFS return, again using only their income and their half of the deductions from the MFJ federal return.
    Again, 
    file the second MFS state return, but not the second mock federal return that it pulls the information from.

Be sure to name each TurboTax federal return so you know the MFJ federal return to file, and which mock MFS federal and state return is for which person. 

Note:  State returns prepared using the "Mock" federal returns will require you to print and file your state return by mail.

Which federal version do I send/mail/attach when filing each of the MFS state taxes?  The actual federal return we filed as MFJ or the mock version?

Thank you! 

The actual federal 1040 that was filed.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies