turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my children get social security from their dad passing which im the payee do i have to file that i usually don't but dont know if im suppose to this will be their second year getting it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

If my children get social security from their dad passing which im the payee do i have to file that i usually don't but dont know if im suppose to this will be their second year getting it

If your children receive Social Security survivors/disability benefits, that is income to them, not to you. You do not enter it on your tax return. Look at Box 2 of the SSA-1099 and you should see the child’s Social Security Number.

If that is the only income the child has, then the child does not have to file or report it either.

The child may be required to file, if they have additional income such as a job, or dividend income.  

See Publication 17, page 6 for further information on if your child needs to file a return if they have additional income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

If your children receive Social Security survivors/disability benefits, that is income to them, not to you. You do not enter it on your tax return. Look at Box 2 of the SSA-1099 and you should see the child’s Social Security Number.

If that is the only income the child has, then the child does not have to file or report it either.

The child may be required to file, if they have additional income such as a job, or dividend income.  

See Publication 17, page 6 for further information on if your child needs to file a return if they have additional income.

Thank you so much very helpful

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Regarding your question on your children's social security benefits.  It it correct that you do not need to add the benefits to your return if your children qualify as your dependents.   

Below is a link with some additional details on dependents' social security benefits;  Dependents Social Security Benefits

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies