turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skipperll

Does my mother need to sign forms 2848 and 8453? As durable POA I will be signing and e-filing her returns as she is age 94 suffering from dementia and is 600 miles away

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Does my mother need to sign forms 2848 and 8453? As durable POA I will be signing and e-filing her returns as she is age 94 suffering from dementia and is 600 miles away

If Mom is suffering from dementia her signature would be invalid.  Just fill out Form 2848 and attach your Durable POA (with Mom's signature) to it.

Pappy

bwa--thank you. since I was planning on e-filing her returns is there a way to send a "scanned" POA attachement with the return? Also, is a 2848 needed for her Ohio State return? From your answer, it appears that a 8453 form is NOT necessary. Correct?
Thanks.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Unfortunately, Turbotax has no provision to include a scanned attachment of any sort that isn't a standard or required form.

You may have misunderstood my post - what I meant to say was "Just fill out Form 2848 and attach your Durable POA (with Mom's signature) to it", then send it in with Form 8453.

Most states accept IRS' POAs.  However, I'm not familiar enough with Ohio's procedures to tell you whether they do or not.
skipperll

bwa----FYI----Ohio has it's own form for POA and does not recognize the IRS's form. The Ohio form is TBOR-1. Hope this helps if you ever get asked.
lindsey11
Returning Member

But if I want to e-file for my mom and I have power of attorney, what do I actually put on the signature line of her federal tax form? My name? Her name? Nothing?

I do not want to print the tax forms and mail them by post office - I want to e-file and pay what she owes on-line.

I understand that I need to fill out 2848 and 8453 and attach the POA and mail it in, but what do I actually sign the federal tax form with??

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Sign the electronic return with your mother's name.  She is the taxpayer and the one submitting the return (with your help!).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies