Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I worked at two different grocery stores but the same company, sold I have gotten 2 different w'2s?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
sixstrrzr

If I worked at two different grocery stores but the same company, sold I have gotten 2 different w'2s?

If it is the same company, they will only have one Federal Tax ID number (shown on your W2). They should have only sent one W2. I would make sure the wages reported on the W2 they sent adds up to the wages for both stores you worked at.

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

It depends, when companies change names or go through certain changes, that sometimes makes the same place you worked for, give you more than one W2. Generally, one is for the amount you made while they were original, and the other w2 is the one when changes were made to the company or grocery store;‌ sometimes under new management or not. An EIN or Employer Identification Number or the federal tax id may have changed when you worked there, causing more than one W2. If you feel you made less or they aren't correct, you could always bring that up with your employer or contact the IRS at the information below to request that you employer(s) update your W2s and send a corrected one, if necessary.. If it seems correct, then enter both W2s as you normally would. If you only received one and you know its off, don't take the chance; contact your employer first and try to retrieve other W2. If unsuccessful, contact the IRS for assistance getting a W2 sent to you from other employer or management company.

Go to Personal Income Wages>W2>Start>Type in yourself or import, add another W2 when done with first, again if both W2s seem correct, they generally are, and can come from the same place of employment;‌ under changed names or changed company processes.

You can call toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 or visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office 

https://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies