turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I was claimed as a dependent in 2019 but not 2020 and filed independently, why am I not getting a stimulus?

Apparently I'm not eligible but my friend who was claimed as a dependent in 2019 and not 2020 is getting his stimulus.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If I was claimed as a dependent in 2019 but not 2020 and filed independently, why am I not getting a stimulus?

Yes, if you don't already have a copy of your 2020 return handy, sign in to your TurboTax account and select the download/print option to get a copy.  Look at line 30 on your form 1040 there should be a Recovery Rebate Credit amount there.

If not, you will need to amend to claim the missing payments.  Per the IRS guidance here in question G1.

Sign back in to your account and use the "Amend" option.  Click the "Federal Review" tab or use the "Search" option and type in "Stimulus".  Use the "Jump to..." link at the top of the results to get to the stimulus questions.

Here is a link for more assistance with amending if needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If filed a 2020 tax return and indicated you could not be claimed as a dependent, are a US citizen with a valid social security number, and your return showed an Adjusted Gross Income of less than $75,000 you would be eligible for both the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return and the third round stimulus payment.

Here is a link with information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

The full amount of Recovery Rebate Credit (1800) would include the missed round one and two stimulus amounts (1200/600) on line 30 of your form 1040. 

When completing your tax return you should have been presented with questions about receiving stimulus payments in rounds one and/or two as part of the "Federal Review" interview.  You would have answered "NO" and the full amount would have been added to your tax return.

Once your 2020 tax return is processed your eligibility for round three will be establish and the payment (1400) will be sent separately from your tax refund.

Go here for more information on the third round.

You can track your third round stimulus payment using the "Get My Payment" tool. 

I don’t remember getting those questions after I filed my return. Is there a way I can go back and double check?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you don't already have a copy of your 2020 return handy, sign in to your TurboTax account and select the download/print option to get a copy.  Look at line 30 on your form 1040 there should be a Recovery Rebate Credit amount there.

If not, you will need to amend to claim the missing payments.  Per the IRS guidance here in question G1.

Sign back in to your account and use the "Amend" option.  Click the "Federal Review" tab or use the "Search" option and type in "Stimulus".  Use the "Jump to..." link at the top of the results to get to the stimulus questions.

Here is a link for more assistance with amending if needed.

Thank you very much, I was able to amend my return and the recovery rebate credit is on my amended return now! When I filed my return, at the top it said 0$ federal refund, but the 1800$ is on my return, would that cause problems or would I still be getting my stimulus in the mail/direct deposit?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The Refund Tracker may drop to zero after filing. What was on the filed forms will dictate what the IRS uses for the amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies