turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I update to Live Deluxe to enter my teacher's expenses, can I cancel it if I end up taking the standard deduction? Don't want to get charged $90 if I don't itemize.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If I update to Live Deluxe to enter my teacher's expenses, can I cancel it if I end up taking the standard deduction? Don't want to get charged $90 if I don't itemize.

No, you will not be able to return to the free product after the upgrade. 

Your teacher expenses are deductible even if you take the standard deduction. You do not need to itemize to take the educator expense adjustment.   

The TurboTax Free Edition does not include Schedule 1, which is required to list those expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I list the teacher expenses without itemizing? 

When I answer "Yes" to "Did you spend your own money as a teacher in 2019?," I can't enter the information without upgrading to Live Deluxe.  

Is there another place to enter these expenses?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

No, there is not another place to enter them.  You are not required to upgrade to Deluxe because the expense is being itemized, but because it is on a form (Schedule 1) that is not in the Free Edition.  

You will still take the standard deduction and you will get the adjustment for your classroom expenses.  But to do this, you must use the Deluxe or higher edition.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies