turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am filing married,filing jointly, why does it tell me I am not eligible to claim my husband as a dependent if I did not choose that option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I am filing married,filing jointly, why does it tell me I am not eligible to claim my husband as a dependent if I did not choose that option?

A married person can not be claimed as a dependent on any tax return. If you are filing a joint return with your husband, then you are both the "tax filers". If you have no children or other qualifying dependents, then you two have no dependents at all.

In effect, when filing as married, filing jointly, both spouses are automatically included in both the standard deduction and the tax rate tables. One selecting the other as a dependent is unnecessary, and doing so would effectively be claiming them twice.

I think the 2 answers are missing the point.  The user is filing Joint.  But the program is saying the husband is not eligible to be a dependent which of course they know.  Why is the program saying that?  I think this goes along with the other posts about an error of the spouse being a dependent.  @Carl  can you ask in the Lounge?  

@addisonm24 @Lawrence49 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies