Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If a state withholds that state's 2020 tax return due to a past balance due, is it still considered income to claim on 2021 federal return?

can federal taxes consider a state tax refund income if that refund was withheld?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If a state withholds that state's 2020 tax return due to a past balance due, is it still considered income to claim on 2021 federal return?

Yes if you itemized in 2020 and had a state refund, it is income in 2021 even if the state applied it to back taxes.  If you itemize in 2021. you can include the back taxes paid as a deduction (just be sure to enter the actual tax paid, not any penalties or interest.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But what if I used the standardized deduction instead of itemized?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

if you used the Standard Deduction in 2020, you can enter the amount of the State Refund you were supposed to get.

It is not taxable and won't affect your 2021 refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But the state took my taxes to pay for a past due balance. So is it still considered income even though I never received it?

Yes---it was income----it was used to pay a debt that YOU owed.   But it only affects you if you itemized last year.  If you used your standard deduction it makes no difference.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you. Now I wonder why TruboTax is counting it as income... I always use the standard deduction.

TT asks if you received a state refund.  If you also answer correctly that you did not itemize deductions for that tax year, TT will not add it to your taxable income.  You will not be taxed on it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I did answer correctly that I don't itemize (I ALWAYS use the standard deduction) but it's still showing as income and I don't know where to go to correct whatever is wrong.

@mommy2eandl

Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition.  If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there.  Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies