turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sailqa17

I worked as a property manager in the USA, and did not leave the country. However my pay came from a Cayman Island bank account. How do I report this?

The company that paid me, does not have an EIN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I worked as a property manager in the USA, and did not leave the country. However my pay came from a Cayman Island bank account. How do I report this?

Your income would be self-employment income from what your describe. You can report it as such in TurboTax by using the following tabs:

1. Federal
  2. Income and expenses
  3. Self-employment income and expenses

You can deduct expenses associated with the activity and your net income will be subject to self-employment tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sailqa17

Thank you, Thomas, for your reply.

The hurtle I am experiencing is when TurboTax asks for the EIN of the company I worked for.  Since it's a Cayman Island company, there is no EIN.  What do I do at this point?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You do not need to have a FEIN to report self-employment income; use the General Income tab under Business Income and Expenses to report income that is not reported on Form W-2 0r 1099-NEC. If you have tried to report under the 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC tabs, delete those entries.

Payments from a non-U.S. company without a U.S. FEIN,  would not have been reported on a Form W-2 or 1099-NEC and should not have had U.S. tax withheld (no Payer EIN, no ability to report income to IRS or withhold tax). Treat it as income by cash or check and report under General Income tab.

See:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies