Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimgain

I went through whole process of filing my state and federal taxes only to get message " a tax return with the same social security number has already been submitted"

WTF?? Has my identity been stolen? What do I do? I was unable to file by deadline! Help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Starphyre
Returning Member

I went through whole process of filing my state and federal taxes only to get message " a tax return with the same social security number has already been submitted"

It sounds as though you may be a victim of identity fraud.  Contact the IRS, the Social Security Administration and your local police department for help in dealing with this.  Be sure that you've interred your number correctly first, though! I wish you luck!

Possibly.  or there might be an error in the IRS data base.   Could you be a dependent of your parents perhaps?

If not then you can only mail file and let the IRS sort it out.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Did you or someone one your return file for a stimulus payment?    That will cause your tax return to be rejected.  You will need to mail in the return.  If you owe taxes, be sure to make a payment on the IRS website to avoid interest accruing.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your return is REJECTED on or just before Tax Day.

IRS gives you a few days to 

a) correct the rejection and e-File again (not an option in this case), OR

b) get your paper return postmarked at the Post Office.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies