`

I want to upgrade from TurboTax Free File to Deluxe, however there is no option anywhere to do this. How do I do this without losing all my work? Thank you.

I am trying to file my taxes and started for free initially with TurboTax Free File, however I am not stuck on the page stating that I don't qualify for free filing.  I would like to upgrade to deluxe, however there is no option anywhere to do this.  When I log out, and select Turbotax Deluxe on the product main page, it prompts me to log back in which just takes me back to my return on the Free File program with the same page stating I can't file.  I also tried Clear & Start Over, however I get prompted "You cannot clear your return. Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over." It seems like I can't do anything now.  How do I upgrade from Free File to Turbotax Deluxe without losing all my information, or if that doesn't work, how do I start from completely clear slate again?

Please see the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ below, on how to upgrade.

If the instructions below do not work please contact us at You can contact us at (800)446-8848 5am to 9pm Pacific or you can go through the link below to contact us.

How do I upgrade or switch to a higher version of TurboTax Online?

upgrade button missing from screen

all night it kept giving me this message when I tried logging in through deluxe link:  "Oops! It appears there was a drop in our connection.  Sorry about this! Sometimes the connection between your browser and our server can be dropped as it traverses the Internet."

I figured out the work around! Here's exactly what I did:

1. Clear browser history and cookies 

2. Go to turbotax.com but don't log in!

3. Select Products and pricing >>Compare products

4. Scroll down and select the product you want to use (I selected deluxe)

5. The next screen asked me how I filed my taxes last year. I used TurboTax, so I selected that box. Press continue.

6. This took me to my account with a pop up box asking me if I wanted to upgrade to deluxe or stay in IRS free file. Select Upgrade to Deluxe and hit next - FIXED!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! You're a life saver.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I spoke with two different customer service representatives over the last month and they both told me it was not possible and that I would have to create an entirely new account. I am so happy I found this post!

Thank you so much. This worked for me. I really appreciate it.

You are Brilliant! Thank you for saving me another 4 hours of drudgery. 🙂

This was such easy and quick help, thank you! I tried Turbotax's recommended way for far too long and I'm sure I would've continued on that way for much longer.

I was in such a panic with just five days left to file. Thank you so much for your excellent tip. Very much appreciated!  

Glad you were all able to get back to TurboTax!  

@paldenlhamo

@nellie rajabi

@SavedByYou

@insanegma

@ALSkinn

@Gmotola1

You're a genius! I love you!!!!!

Thank you, I had been on hold for multiple hours on this. It's pathetic they have not fixed this issue yet.

Thank you snowsurfer9896! Also, if you prefer not to erase your cookies, you can open a private/incognito browser window and do the same thing there.