I am trying to file my taxes and started for free initially with TurboTax Free File, however I am not stuck on the page stating that I don't qualify for free filing. I would like to upgrade to deluxe, however there is no option anywhere to do this. When I log out, and select Turbotax Deluxe on the product main page, it prompts me to log back in which just takes me back to my return on the Free File program with the same page stating I can't file. I also tried Clear & Start Over, however I get prompted "You cannot clear your return. Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over." It seems like I can't do anything now. How do I upgrade from Free File to Turbotax Deluxe without losing all my information, or if that doesn't work, how do I start from completely clear slate again?
I figured out the work around! Here's exactly what I did:
1. Clear browser history and cookies
2. Go to turbotax.com but don't log in!
3. Select Products and pricing >>Compare products
4. Scroll down and select the product you want to use (I selected deluxe)
5. The next screen asked me how I filed my taxes last year. I used TurboTax, so I selected that box. Press continue.
6. This took me to my account with a pop up box asking me if I wanted to upgrade to deluxe or stay in IRS free file. Select Upgrade to Deluxe and hit next - FIXED!
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I spoke with two different customer service representatives over the last month and they both told me it was not possible and that I would have to create an entirely new account. I am so happy I found this post!