Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carlmax46

I want to save file on my personal desktop, WITHOUT a password. Turbotax won't let. It wants a keychain password and I don't have one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

I want to save file on my personal desktop, WITHOUT a password. Turbotax won't let. It wants a keychain password and I don't have one.

@carlmax46 

Password protection of TurboTax CD/Download files is set by the user, so we can't assist in unlocking the file or removing the encryption. Please see the FAQ link provided below for further assistance or you can start over in a new file:

How do I access my password-protected TurboTax Desktop file if I forgot the password

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carlmax46

your answer did not solve the problem.  Turbotax keeps asking for keychain password and I don't have one.  I did not download the file.  I was creating it from last years transfer.  Now it won't save.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the following steps:

1. Launch the TurboTax software and open the return
  2. With your return open, click in the top left corner on the File menu
  3. In the dropdown menu choose Password
  4. In the popup, click Remove Password

If you need additional assistance, please reach out via phone.  To speak with a TurboTax Expert, refer to the instructions in the following Help Article:  How do I contact TurboTax?

On my Mac TurboTax desktop, the File menu did not have a Password choice. I checked Preferences and all (I think) menu options and could not find a Password choice. Please explain where to find how to change or remove the file password.

I tried Encrypt choice and it is what was Password. It worked for me.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for letting us know how it worked for you, this will be a help to the others in the community. @PHM01 

carlmax46

TurboTax advice did not work.  As soon as I try to save a new file it asks for keychain password.  I don’t have a keychain password.  Tried starting a new file,  but never got the choice to use or not use a password; it goes right to wanting keychain password.  Ending up uninstalling TurboTax then re-installing.  Then it allowed me to save without password .  TurboTax advice never worked.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for updating us on what worked for you.  I will pass this feedback along.  @carlmax46 

Gary Wyn

I have the same problem on my Mac.  The uninstall / reinstall trick does not work for me.  I am at a loss on how to work around this issue. Without the ability to access the File tab, I cannot start a second return, nor save anything.

Gary Wyn

I do not understand your solution.  I am on a Mac, and I am not offered the Encrypt option when I go to save a file.  I cannot save anything.

carlmax46

turbo tax answer did NOT help.  File was on my personal desktop and saved WITHOUT password.  However when I later tried to access it wanted a security chain.

carlmax46

I had uninstall/reinstall turbotax.  Then start with a new file on my desktop and set preferences to no password.   I had never encrypted the original file.

Gary Wyn

I think I found the solution.  I am using Turbo Tax 2022 on a Mac laptop running Ventura 13.3 but suspect this solution will work on others.  As you know, when you go to save a tax return, the system asks for a keychain password.  It describes it as a long name pdrxxx or something similar.  Find on your computer the Keychain Access app.  Open it up, and there will be a schedule entitled MetadataKeychain.  Under the column "Name" search down to the line that describes that pdrxx entry.  Delete it.  You should be fine now to save your TurboTax 2022 returns.  Based upon this experience, I am not saving tax returns with a password or encryption.  Gary Wyn

Gary Wyn

I think I found the solution.  I am using Turbo Tax 2022 on a Mac laptop running Ventura 13.3 but suspect this solution will work on others.  As you know, when you go to save a tax return, the system asks for a keychain password.  It describes it as a long name pdrxxx or something similar.  Find on your computer the Keychain Access app.  Open it up, and there will be a schedule entitled MetadataKeychain.  Under the column "Name" search down to the line that describes that pdrxx entry.  Delete it.  You should be fine now to save your TurboTax 2022 returns.  Based upon this experience, I am not saving tax returns with a password or encryption.  Gary Wyn

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies