Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tharo1

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

Was there ever a solution to this?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

@Tharo1

IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time.

• Individuals should call 800-829-1040, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
  • For stimulus payment questions, call 800-919-9835.

To determine what this amount is, you may want to try both the IRS Where's My Refund tool to review your 2020 Federal refund status and the IRS Get My Payment tool to review stimulus payment information.

You may have to speak directly with the IRS by telephone.  Service is inconsistent but you can reach the IRS 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time here: 

• Individuals, call 800-829-1040,
  • Stimulus payments, call 800-919-9835..

Much information may be available if you view or create an IRS Account.  See this.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You may view: 

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any

The IRS says that it will issue 9 out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days.  However, if: 

• You have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return,
  • You are claiming a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, and
  • Your tax return has been accepted by the IRS.   

In these cases, we suspect that the IRS will scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.  We do not know how much delay that the IRS will incur in such cases. 

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for further developments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LS18
Level 2

Except now that you’ve gotten that far, it says because of high call volume we are not able to except your call. Please try again later. Any other ideas?

You might want to gain access to your IRS tax account.  There, you might be able to find out whatever information you are looking for.

You can check the status of your return not only through TurboTax, but also through the IRS website using your IRS Online Account.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You can view:

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any

You can also:

• Make a payment online
  • See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
  • Access your tax records via Get Transcript

Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

@LS18

I been trying to get in touch with the irs about my refund can’t never get thought it’s been a month I haven’t got nothing I’m try to see what’s going on with my refund

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@Carolynburks2009 Please take a look at the following FAQ: Why do some refunds take longer than others?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed your instructions regarding calling the IRS and trying to talk to an agent.  Eventually, it gave me the same message "we are unable to handle your call at this time, call back at another time".  Getting this same message no matter which number I call for weeks.

It is almost impossible to get through - my bars disappeared in "Where is my Refund" and it says my return is being furthered reviewed but you can't talk to anyone regarding what the problem is.  I have been calling for weeks and just get the message "we cannot take your call at this time".  What a mess!

same thing happens when you call every single number morning or afternoon! it says due to high volume we cant take your call so you cant schedule an appointment either! im about to just go up there because this is some shady **bleep**. I'm supposed to verify my identity in 30 days but can't!! they owe me thousands of dollars and i got flagged for absolutely no reason because literally nothing changed at all from last year to this one.

im the same way need verify no answer what they doing how can you verify no answer or answer service i tried everything 

Well update. It took me about 8 hours over the span of a day and a half before I finally got through on that number. You have to just call all day over and over and over until you get put on actual hold then wait about an hour before verifying. Right to prompt courteous professional service my butt!

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Please clarify why you are trying to get hold of IRS if it is something that we can possibly assist you with finding out.

Just giving an update from my scenario. I eventually gave up. The IRS basically stole my refund from last year. I'm not even sure who or what to blame. Its gotten so big and out of hand, there is no way they can continue to function as is. Last year my estimated refund was ~$1500 federal. I filed on time, and they rejected my filing. I called everyday for two weeks before I finally got someone. They said they would send me a form to update my filing. The issue was I needed to report two months where I paid for insurance on the marketplace where I paid ~$100 a month, about $200 total. I filled it out and sent it back in. About 2-3 months later it was accepted, instead of a direct deposit, I got a check....for $112.. Somehow those two insurance payments brought my refund down by over $1000. I called for weeks after that, either couldn't get anyone, got bounced, or when I did get someone they had no idea, one person said they didn't even see where I filed a return, another person said I needed to fill out another form, and the third person said they sent me the wrong form to fill out. After a nearly year long battle it was no longer worth my time to keep going. I gave up. However, I will get my money somehow. 

I can't even get a chance to press options it immediately says high call volume call back it's been 5 was since I filed no refund

Kaquana85

I have been filing my taxes with turbo tax for the last few years. I have called the irs over 30 times and I have not reached a representative yet. I filed my return on the 13th of February and they got accepted on the 13th of February. I haven’t received my income tax refund yet and it’s the 25th of March. It has been over 21 days. I have been receiving my income on the time every year until now. I was trying to see what can be done. The irs information on their cite claims they can talk and give information if it has been over 21 days. @links to members, content 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies