turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I understand that Medicare looks at my MAGI to determine if I have IRMAA surcharges. Is the level for 2021 using the 2020 limit of $176,000/couple?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I understand that Medicare looks at my MAGI to determine if I have IRMAA surcharges. Is the level for 2021 using the 2020 limit of $176,000/couple?

Higher-income Medicare beneficiaries will pay more. In 2021, individuals with modified adjusted gross income of $88,000 or more and married couples with MAGIs of $176,000 or more will pay additional surcharges ranging from $59.40 per month to $356.40 per month on top of the standard Part B premium.

The maximum IRMAA in 2021 will be $356.40, bringing the total monthly cost for Part B to $504.90 for those in that bracket. The top IRMAA bracket applies to married couples with adjusted gross incomes of $750,000 or more and singles with $500,000 or more of income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.

Just to clarify,  the 2021 maximum per couple of $176,000 is based on my 2020 tax return?

For 2022 what is the limit per couple that we can earn in 2021?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It’s too early to project the income brackets for 2022 coverage. They have not yet been released for 2022.

As of December 2020, we don't have enough information to determine what  the brackets might be for 2022. Inflation increase or decrease will have an impact. And then, your income (two years prior each year) determines whether you will be impacted by the Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount  (IRMAA).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies