turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I try efile but I get message: Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits. I retyped personal info, but still doesn't work. Many have this problem. Solution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I try efile but I get message: Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits. I retyped personal info, but still doesn't work. Many have this problem. Solution?

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of TurboTax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies

There is a longer thread on this issue at the link below.  I know you have already discovered the thread and have been posting over there.  So I'm posting the link here mainly for anyone else who wants to watch both threads.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-given-...

Continue watching this one as well, as someone may post here, too.  It may email you if they do, and/or provide a notification in this forum.

Thank you very much!

Make sure your Intuit telephone number matches the number you file with.  I DID NOT need to verify that number.  I couldn't anyway since I'm an EXPAT in Germany.    Once I did that... It worked.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

There seems to be an issue with e-filing when there is not a US phone number listed in your Intuit Online account.   When you are signed into your account, click on Intuit Account in the bottom left corner.    The error is not from the phone number on your tax return but rather the phone number attached to your Intuit (TurboTax) account.  

Change your phone number to a US number in the Intuit Account of TurboTax.   No need to verify this number in the Intuit Account just click exit when you are done. Then go back to your return and continue filing.   Don't use a Google Voice number, a Skype number, or any other non-US or non-verifiable phone number.  Again, you don't have to verify the number but the number needs to be verifiable.  

You may be able to leave the phone number field blank on your Intuit account and e-file your return.  No matter which option you use, make sure to update your account with your correct phone number once your return is e-filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this isn't correct.  I have always had my US number in that space on the Intuit Account Sheet.  It forced me to verify it before it would allow me to send the return.  Something is not correct in this explanation. 

I changed the phone number in my Intuit account to a US number and verified it. That seemed to work and I was able to file!

Thank you! I I carefully read through the whole forum about this issue and tried lots of krazy stuff over the past few days. I am an expat in Barcelona and was very reluctant to contact family/friends in the U.S. to beg them to pretend that their phone was mine, had them inform me of codes to verify numbers, etc.

I did this as you said (enter a U.S. land line in the Intuit Account phone field, and had that number coincide with my contact number on the tax return), et voilà! It worked!

Expat living in Australia here, I was running into this exact issue and made sure my google voice number was used in my Intuit account and my turbo tax account and everything went through fine.  Just wanted to let everyone know that Google Voice does actually work. Thanks for the details everyone!

jmarchuk

Some folks here say they've found solutions, but I don't understand any of them. Intuit won't let me change my phone number without verifying, so just changing the number won't do. I also see people saying that the Turbotax and Intuit phone numbers must match. What's the difference? I assume my Intuit phone number is under "Intuit Account", but what's my Turbotax number then? Is that just what's listed under "Mailing Address" in the "My Info" section when filing?

zamsmith

Finally! This worked.  The online chat was no help after 2 weeks. Why don't your advisors know this??

It finally worked but I did have to wait a while, log out and back in a few times before it finally took!  What a pain!

Not sure Turbo Tax really gave me the value for the money I spent!

Thank you very much. the problem is solved and I have efilled the return!

I am an expat living in India. I have given my daughters phone number in USA and asked for sms verification and got sms code from my daughter and verified the number.

Problem of efiling solved.

It is rather tragic that turbo is not providing customer service support to solve such problems. after all we are paying the turbo fees to them and hence they owe this to their customers! All businesses providing services to expats like Bank of America provide customer support to even those who live abroad. Intuit should provide the same.

Just think about it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies