Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stock that was given to me as a top 10 earner 15 years ago. I was not given a value and the stock was not public. 2 years ago it went public and I sold it in 2023

How do I figure my basis.  I was never given it at the time
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I sold stock that was given to me as a top 10 earner 15 years ago. I was not given a value and the stock was not public. 2 years ago it went public and I sold it in 2023

Are you certain the value of the stock was not included in a tax reporting statement when you received it?

Yes, I was a top 10 earner and it was given to me by my small company at the time.  My boss said hang on to it, it may be worth something someday, none of my papers provide any value.  That was 15 years ago and the stock went public 2 years ago and I sold it this year.  I am trying to determine how I come up with my cost.  when the stock went public it was worth $17 per share.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The basis of the stock would be what you paid for it or the value that you included in your tax return income in the year that you took possession of it. If you didn't report the value on your tax return in the year that you received it 15 years ago, and you didn't pay anything for it,  then you need to compensate for that by listing the cost basis as $0 in 2023, the year that you sold it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies