Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a w2 for ihss work that is tax exempt. It correctly reports 0.00 in box 1. do I have to include this in the return? it seems if I do, I can't efile.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I received a w2 for ihss work that is tax exempt. It correctly reports 0.00 in box 1. do I have to include this in the return? it seems if I do, I can't efile.

To clarify, are there other entries reported on the W2?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, boxes 3,4,5,6. Thanks

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Generally, you can enter '0' in box 1 and you are allowed to efile.  However, if your income does not exceed the maximum Social Security earnings of $142,800, you do not have to enter the W-2 for only boxes 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Per IRS Notice 2014-7, payments from a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services program are considered "difficulty of care" payments and are specifically excluded from gross income for income tax purposes. Please see this IRS article for more information. 

Do you have qualifying children as dependents on your tax return?  This income may count towards the Earned Income Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you for your response, but when I entered 0 in box 1 I was not able to efile. turbo tax said I had to mail in the return. so I reported the w2 in miscellaneous income and was then able to efile. 

ysun
Level 3

I have the same situation. I was able to e-file last year that way, but this year I realized that the social security and and medicare tax withheld will not be reported that way and I heard it would affect our social security payment after retirement. Any experts here can confirm this?  Thank you!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies