Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I received a settlement from lawsuit as a class member, but it was confirmed the settlement it's not 1099 reportable payment, not W2 reportable payment, should I file that payment?

Hi, 

Why I trying to prepare Federal return,  it said" Check This Entry"-"Qualified Business Income Component wkst"-"Aggregation changes stmt must be entered"-"Aggregation changes stmt", What does this mean? And what should I input here?

Thank you very much.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I received a settlement from lawsuit as a class member, but it was confirmed the settlement it's not 1099 reportable payment, not W2 reportable payment, should I file that payment?

Aggregation refers to an option you would have taken to treat multiple businesses as one for purposes of the qualified business income (QBI) deduction. 

To de-select the 'aggregation' option, go back through the interview for each business or rental property you entered.  If you see a screen asking if your taxable income might exceed $160,700 (or $321,400 if married filing a joint return), answer Yes (even if that is not the case).  Answer No to the specified services trade or business question (unless it applies to your business). 

You should then encounter the screen "Should [name] be treated as part of a combined business?".   That screen will give you the option to combine the business or rental into another or indicate that the "business" is independent of any other activities.

If you do want to 'aggregate' your businesses, here's what an Aggregation Statement would include:

-  A description of each trade or business or property.

- The name and EIN of each entity in which a trade or business or property is operated.

- Information identifying any trade or business that was formed, ceased operations, was acquired, or was disposed of during the taxable year.

- Information identifying any aggregated trade or business or property of an RPE in which the RPE holds an ownership interest.

- Such other information as the Commissioner may require in forms, instructions, or other published guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

I already deleted the dividends entry, but when I run check, "Form 8939, Dividends I must be entered", actually I dont need to report dividend, and don't need to show where to report, form and line, schedule and line. How should I fix this issue, thank you.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You can Delete Form 8938 from your return. 

In the left menu pane, choose Tax Tools > Tools, then 'Delete a Form' from the pop-up menu. 

haru
Level 3

There are a few exceptions to taxation on settlements.

If this was in connection with a personal injury lawsuit (car accident, slip and fall, etc.), it is not reported or taxable, whether lump sum or periodic payments.  This isn't the forum to publicly share the reason for your settlement, but anything 1099-reportable would be with the wording of the settlement agreement. Hopefully, you have a copy, and there likely is law firm contact info in it which could expedite an answer.

Otherwise, though, the guidance from others about taxability is correct. And unless you have it in writing that it's not, I'd be wary of not reporting it.

Hi,

After I deleted, can I still add it back, because even I didn't need to add dividend, but I still need to add interest.

Thank you.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Here's How to Report Interest (whether or not you have a 1099-INT, it is reported the same way).

@Justin202203

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies