turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099 Misc from a farm in MO, I live in KS. Do I have to file tax returns in both states. Most of the work is done in Kansas.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099 Misc from a farm in MO, I live in KS. Do I have to file tax returns in both states. Most of the work is done in Kansas.

You do not have to file a Missouri return if you are not required to file a federal return. If you are required to file a federal return, you may not have to file a Missouri return if:

• you are a resident and have less than $1,200 of Missouri adjusted gross income;
  • you are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri income; or
  • your Missouri adjusted gross income is less than the amount of your standard deduction plus your personal exemption.

Note: If you are not required to file a Missouri return, but you received a W-2 form indicating you had Missouri tax withheld, you must file a Missouri return to get a refund of your Missouri withholding. If you are not required to file a Missouri return and you do not anticipate an increase in income, you may consider changing your W-4 form to "exempt" so your employer will not withhold Missouri tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies