Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own an etsy business and made less than $600, I do not have access to a 1099-MISC, do I still need to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I own an etsy business and made less than $600, I do not have access to a 1099-MISC, do I still need to file?

You may need to file, see #1 below.

The IRS says in Pub 17:

"Also, you must file Form 1040 or 1040-SR and Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax, if:

1. Your net earnings from self-employment (excluding church employee income) were $400 or more, ..."

You don't have to have a 1099-MISC or other forms. You can enter "General Income" in the business income and expenses interview - just enter something "sales on etsy" and then go on to enter your expenses.

Basically, if your business made enough money such that you would owe self-employment taxes (Schedule SE), you have to file, but you need to step through the process first.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So another question... If I spent more than I made would I have to do this? Because I definitely spent more than $500 and only made $430. Thanks again! @BillM223 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The IRS states that if your net earnings are more than $400, then you need to file a Schedule C. Your net earnings are approximately negative $70 (-$70).  You do not need to file a Schedule C for this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies