turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only have ss and dividend income. i have charity giving and a home. how do i go from here

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I only have ss and dividend income. i have charity giving and a home. how do i go from here

Be sure you have entered your Social Security income as follows in the Federal income section.

1. Select Wages & Income 
  2. Scroll down to All Income 
  3. Select show more to the right of Retirement Plans & Social Security
  4. Select Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099) 

Social security is taxed once your modified adjusted gross income reaches $25,000 or $32,000 if married filing joint.  This includes income earned from all sources including your social security benefits.

Please see the attached for more information.  

Is Social Security taxable? 

You will enter your dividend income from your 1099-DIV in the Federal income section as well.

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Scroll down to All income
  3. Select Dividends on 1099-DIV

Charitable contributions, mortgage interest, and property taxes are all considered itemized deductions.  You will find the input in the Deductions & Credits section of the program.

1. Go to Deductions & credits 
  2. Scroll down to All tax breaks
  3. You will be able to enter your information as applicable for each item in this section.  For example, your charitable contributions will be entered under Charitable Donations.  Your mortgage interest and property taxes will be entered under the section titled Your Home.

If your itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction, you will be able to itemize.  TurboTax will select the method that results in the highest tax benefit for you.  Please see the attached link for additional information on the difference between the standard deduction and itemized deductions.  

Standard deduction versus Itemized deduction

Once you have entered the information above, just continue through the prompts and TurboTax will prompt you as you go along to ensure you have entered everything needed to file your income tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'll make it simpler

just go to the IRS website and choose a method to file for free... DO NOT PAY TT or anyone else to do this! Your taxes are too simple! 

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

based on what you stated, you have no requirement to file.....you should get the stimulus from the social security file.....if you did NOT get the 1st two stimulus payments, then file to obtain them.  Otherwise, there is no need to file, based on what you stated 

@JotikaT2 - why didn't you offer the free option? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies