turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made 2,300 in W2 and 3500 in 1099-MISC. Why isn't the 1099-MISC number being included in my standard deduction? I'm a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I made 2,300 in W2 and 3500 in 1099-MISC. Why isn't the 1099-MISC number being included in my standard deduction? I'm a dependent.

The 1099-Misc income is unearned income.  A dependent's standard deduction is his earned income + $350; in your case 2300 + 350 = 2650.

If you got the 1099-Misc for working, you will have to report it as self employment to get it to be treated as earned income and that will mean about $495 in self employment tax (FICA - social security and medicare tax).  You'll get the bigger standard deduction, so the income tax (including any "kiddie tax') will be wiped out. 

The 1099-MISC was for a college stipend.  It was not a job.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the  $12,400 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $350)..  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax other purposes (EIC. IRA contributions or additional child tax credit).

Taxable scholarship goes on line 1 of form 1040 with wage earned income.  TT can handle the dual treatment of the income.

Instead of entering it at the 1099-Misc screen, enter it at educational expenses.  After entering the 1098-T, you will be asked if you had any scholarships not reported on the 1098-T.  Enter there. When asked how much was used for room & board and other expenses, enter the 1099-Misc amount.  That makes it taxable. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies