turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm in an army program (like ROTC), where I get a stipend attending school. I also have ADT during the year. I received a w2 for all this and owe a ton of fed tax now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I'm in an army program (like ROTC), where I get a stipend attending school. I also have ADT during the year. I received a w2 for all this and owe a ton of fed tax now?

Your W-2 income and stipend income are both taxable.  However, you must report your stipend properly or you will be liable for self-employment tax on your stipend which will increase the tax you owe.

Follow these steps to report your stipend income to ensure it is not subject to self-employment Tax:

1. With TurboTax open select  Wages & Income click on I'll choose what I work on 
  2. Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C 
  3. On the next page select Other reportable income 
  4. On the page, Other Taxable Income enter ROTC Stipendt in the description.  

 This will put your stipend income on Schedule 1 Line 8 of your 1040, as required by the IRS.  You will pay state and federal income tax on the amount, but it will not be subject to self-employment tax. 

Review your tax situation to ensure that you are receiving any educational tax credits/deductions you may be eligible for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Your W-2 income and stipend income are both taxable.  However, you must report your stipend properly or you will be liable for self-employment tax on your stipend which will increase the tax you owe.

Follow these steps to report your stipend income to ensure it is not subject to self-employment Tax:

1. With TurboTax open select  Wages & Income click on I'll choose what I work on 
  2. Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C 
  3. On the next page select Other reportable income 
  4. On the page, Other Taxable Income enter ROTC Stipendt in the description.  

 This will put your stipend income on Schedule 1 Line 8 of your 1040, as required by the IRS.  You will pay state and federal income tax on the amount, but it will not be subject to self-employment tax. 

Review your tax situation to ensure that you are receiving any educational tax credits/deductions you may be eligible for.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies