turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m getting emails saying my tax return was rejected. But my account says it is complete. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I’m getting emails saying my tax return was rejected. But my account says it is complete. What should I do?

Being rejected means that some things on your return don't match what the IRS has in their database. Here's how you can fix it.

Check for an email from turbotax@intuit.com. (Check your spam) It will give you a brief explanation of your reject and how to update it.  If you didn't get an email, open your return to get the rejection reason.

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection.

Not all rejections will have explicit guides to fix the information. You’ll need to navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection, then proceed to the final step.

If what you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed.If this is the case, file a paper return.

To Re-File your return and if you were guided through fixing your reject, select the option to refile when you’ve finished.

If you had to navigate to the area in the program yourself, when you’ve finished, select File in the left-hand menu (mobile devices: go to the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then select File). Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

If you get the same rejection a second time and you see no mistakes on your return, select the File by mail option to paper-file your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
brianvegas
Returning Member

I have the same problem but the answer wasn't to the question asked. I have an email from Turbotax that says "Your amended federal ta return has been rejected and needs to be resubmitted" but when I open up the return in turbotax on my computer it happily reports "Congratulations! The IRS has accepted this return and you're finished with your taxes" and so does not give me any indication of an error that needs to be fixed. I guess I will have to wait until the date I specified for the funds to be charged to my account to know the real answer.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can check the status of your amended return on the IRS website by clicking:  Where's My Amended Return?

@brianvegas

brianvegas
Returning Member

When I go to the IRS to check on the amended return it states "The information you entered does not match our records. Please try again later." but my real question is that I got an email from Turbotax which states that "Your amended federal tax return was rejected and needs to be resubmitted" and tells me to open my return in Turbotax and the details about what needs updating will be displayed but when I open the return it says "Accepted Congratulations the IRS has accepted this return and you're finished with your taxes." So what am I supposed to do or do I just need to wait until the IRS sends me something directly?

@brianvegas 

The original post here is a year old.  Did you try to submit a 2020 Amended return? It's too early to do that. Or did you just change something in your original 2020 return and resubmit it?   The Accept may refer to the original return, and the Reject to the second one.  But that's not how you Amend.

brianvegas
Returning Member

I realized after my first response that the original was a year old but it perfectly matched my experience of getting conflicting information from a Turbotax email and the program response, that I continued anyway. When I realized I had a missing w-2 come in after I had filed I followed the Turbotax instructions and waited till my refund was deposited and then filed the amended return. I got no indication it was "too early" but if it was too early shouldn't the program have told me and not filed the amended return or when it got rejected as the Turbotax letter indicated shouldn't the program have given me some indication of why when I opened the program and "checked status"? I really just need to know what I should do next.

I need help with my email account please for my taxes they saying so that they can verify that it's really me 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you need to recover your account or change your email?

@Sanja Fraser

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies