Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danny030xo
Returning Member

I'm a dependent

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I'm a dependent

If you are a dependent, but you need to file a tax return, be sure you select "Yes, Someone else can claim me" and "Yes, Someone else will claim me" when you fill out the "Personal Info" section. TurboTax will walk you through the rest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
danny030xo
Returning Member

I'm a dependent

But I claimed myself an independent after being told I wasn't , what do I do? Can I do it on the app

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I'm a dependent

If you have already filed, there is nothing you can do but wait to see if your return is accepted or rejected....  Did you already submit the return?    If your parents' or someone else can claim you, let them know they should wait to e-file their returns until you see what happens with yours.   The IRS will start processing on the 12th.    If you have not filed yet, you can go back into the personal information section (My Info) and check the box that says ''someone else can claim me''.    But you can only do that if you have NOT filed yet.   If you have filed already, let us know what happens with the return after the 12th and we can give you instructions on what to do.  Don't panic, it is fixable.  😉

danny030xo
Returning Member

I'm a dependent

My dad said I could file by myself so I did and labeled myself as an independent and and I asked my co-workers why I was getting so much back and they said I did wrong so I asked him and he said he was labeling me as a dependent and that was after the fact of me already filing

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I'm a dependent

It is not a huge problem, but you will need to wait until you find if the IRS accepts the return you filed.   Hopefully, it will get rejected for some reason and you can change your status before you re-file.   But, if it gets accepted, you will need to do an amended return and pay back any portion of the refund you don't qualify for.   You will most likely be entitled to some of it but definitely not all of it if you claimed the recovery rebate, so don't spend it all if and when they send it.  

If your dad files his return before Feb 12th, there is a chance his return will go through first and yours will get rejected which would save you both some troubles.   But if his return goes through after yours gets accepted, he will have to file by mail as it will be rejected.   But we can walk you through what you need to do then.    There is nothing you can do now but wait since you already filed.  On the 12th, start checking the status of your return and let us know here if it was accepted or rejected and we will go from there.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies