Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elisaheine77
Returning Member

I lived in both DC and VA this year. For my 1099-B, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV forms, do I have to report them to the state? If so which state should I report them to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I lived in both DC and VA this year. For my 1099-B, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV forms, do I have to report them to the state? If so which state should I report them to?

You need to file part-year resident forms in both states. You enter the full amount of the 1099 form income in the federal return. When you do the state returns you will be asked to allocate that income to each state based on where you earned it and more importantly how long you lived in the state.

As a practical matter, you can allocate the income based on how long you lived in each state if it was somewhat evenly distributed during the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
elisaheine77
Returning Member

Thank you for the information - it makes sense to allocate based on time spent in each state. As a follow-up question- my 1099-DIV and 1099-B have dates associates with each dividend / sale of assets listed on the form. In that case, should I go by the date and which state I was in at the time, or would it be best to still allocate equally?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should go by the dates that you have on the 1099-DIV and 1099-B to accurately allocate the income to each location. That would be the most accurate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies