turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just saw that when I did my taxes or was filed as self employed? I'm not self employed. Idk where that came from. I work at a hotel in not self employed.

Why is my tax return done as self employed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I just saw that when I did my taxes or was filed as self employed? I'm not self employed. Idk where that came from. I work at a hotel in not self employed.

It depends on how income was received. If your income from the hotel was reported to you on Form 1099-NEC or Form 1099-MISC, that is taxed differently than Form W-2.

If you received Form 1099-K for personal property sales, that could have triggered self-employment, too, depending on where it was entered.

For more information, see: Am I considered self-employed?

I have w-2 forms I am not freaking self employed I don't how or why it did it as self employed but I am not self employed and I believe that is what messed my taxes up and I would like it to be corrected. So don't give no  "oh it depends on what u used to do it taxes. I am not self employed. So I would really appreciate it if I can get my taxes corrected like prompt, now

And NO I did not have a 1099 I have w-2 forms

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Maybe your 2019 information got carried over to your 2020 program?  If you are not self employed, you can simply remove any related forms like 1099-MISC and / or  Schedule C from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to the Form  1099MISC and / or Schedule C and Continue with My Return

If you received a 1099 MISC for nonemployee compensation, the IRS considered you as a self employed and required you to pay self employment tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies