Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed my return and forgot to enter my ip pin.

Is there any way to edit my return now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Submitting the return for filing is just like dropping it into a mailbox - you can not get it back or change it.

Once you submit  and find that you need to make a change, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return. If the return is rejected by the IRS, then you can make the necessary changes and resubmit it. If the return is accepted, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return and file it by mail.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Submitting the return for filing is just like dropping it into a mailbox - you can not get it back or change it.

Once you submit  and find that you need to make a change, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return. If the return is rejected by the IRS, then you can make the necessary changes and resubmit it. If the return is accepted, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return and file it by mail.

I will never use turbo tax again they for everything but your ippin number
qbantex

I have used TurboTax forever but will not use it again since they never asked about my IP PIN.  Now I will have to re-file.

I was not alerted to use my pin number and I can't get back into Turbo Tax to correct it. After telling me everything was okay, Federal and State were  both  rejected but State took $24.99 out of my bank account even though e-file was rejected. I'm a senior on Social Security and I spent $78.00 for nothing! This is shameful! I could have used that money for prescriptions!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

@ Herb Kraft  Please contact us for some help getting back in to add your IP Pin.   Refiling with your IPPin is fairly simple - TurboTax doesn't prompt for this because it doesn't apply to the majority of taxpayers.  However, we can easily help you to get this information into your return once you are able to log back in. 

For assistance logging back in we will need to know some things specific to you that we can't ask in this open forum, so please reach out here: Contact TurboTax Support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mikeyp65

It should prompt you to key in your ip pin if you used one the year before.

Again, another example of why I don't recommend TurboTax.

Now I also have to wait for the rejected return because I missed it this year thinking it was going to ask me for it.

The TurboTax Script DOES ask for the IP PIN, in the section with a bunch of other 'Uncommon' items. The software CANNOT guess that you have ANY particular need and I believe it is for a safety precaution for those who have an IP PIN that TurboTax DOES NOT save it from previous years and alert you to use that PIN. You are supposed to know and remember that and look for the spot to put the info.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but there are things that cannot and will not be ABLE to be done FOR you.

LindaFlesch
Returning Member

Same here! They did not ask what my pin number was, so now they want me to pay the $90 again to refile! What kind of rip off is this!? They never used to do that to people :(

Socrat

@SusanY1 What if I forgot to add the IP PIN in a form that was mailed? Can I do something about it to avoid delays? This is for a previous year (2021) and this would be the last season I could file for that year.

Could I send a letter to the IRS or contact them somehow to prove my identity?

2022 and 2023 returns did contain my IP PIN. Do you think that they will see that the information for all three years matches and be able to identify (and not reject) my 2021 return with the missing IP PIN?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Best

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If the IRS has any questions, they will contact you by mail. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies