Re: I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse IT... - Page 6

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

True, BUT you can still get the money in 2021 when you file your 2020 tax return.  So, while you have to wait you haven't lost out entirely. 

@JGene

But while filing 2020 tax returns with spouse SSN in 2021, do we need to exclusively opt or update any specific details in the tax returns ? OR IRS will automatically returns the stimulus check based on with the family SSN's ?

Yes, I have the same question. Do we have to fill out a separate form to claim the stimulus check while filing the 2020 taxes?

The stimulus "RECONCILIATION"  will be part of the 2020 tax return ... nothing you need to do extra. 

If you used an ITIN on the 2019 return and now have a SS# you must tell the IRS so the tax return records can be consolidated ... if you have not yet done so do it ASAP so the 2020 return is not delayed.   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information

@JGene  Can you please share the IRS contact number , I had mailed the details to IRS,TX address on April 26th , but didn't received any response. Also I didn't find any options in IRS toll free number.

It will be helpful if you can share the IRS number to check the ITIN to SSN update status.

Thanks.

There's phone number at the bottom of this IRS page:

IRS phone numbers

Hello

I have applied tax returns in2019 with SSN+Spouse ITIN + Children ITIN. This year my spouse got SSN. Now my status is SSN + Spouse SSN + Child1 ITIN + Child2 SSN.  Am i eligible for stimulus checks? Can some one suggest?

@sarathch9 

".....satiation SSN"     Is that a typo---what do you mean by "satiation "?

The stimulus checks people received in 2020 were an advance on a credit that you can get when you file your 2020 tax return in 2021.  Since you did not get it in 2020 you may be able to get it on your 2020 return.  The $500 stimulus for children is only for a child under 17 who has a Social Security number--not an ITIN.  If you expect to get the other child's SSN soon, wait to file after you get the SSN.

thank you for reply.

My child1 is not eligible to get SSN. Still I am eligible to get Stimulation check since i have one ITIN in my tax returns? 

You may get it for yourself and spouse and the child who has a SSN if that child is under the age of 17.  You cannot get a stimulus check  (or child tax credit) for a child who does not have a SSN.

Sorry ... an ITIN is not valid for the stimulus... 

You will receive an additional $500 Payment for each qualifying child you claimed on your tax return being used to calculate your Payment. Here's the criteria you should consider:

• Relationship to the individual who is eligible for the Payment: The child is the son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, grandchild, niece, or nephew).
  • Child's age: The child was under age 17 at the end of the taxable year.
  • Dependent of the individual who's eligible for the Payment: The child is claimed as a dependent on the 2018 or 2019 tax return or entered on the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool.
  • Child's citizenship: The child is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien.
  • Child's Residency: Child must have lived with the individual eligible for the Payment for more than half the tax year.
  • Support for Child: Child must not provide over half of own support for the tax year.
  • Child's taxpayer identification number: The child has a valid work eligible Social Security number or an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) that was issued before July 15, 2020.

Visit the Economic Impact Payment Center for more information.

is that only child not eligible or whole family not eligible for stimulation checks?

You cannot get stimulus money  for a child who does not have a Social Security number.  If you and your spouse have Social Security numbers then you and your spouse can get stimulus money for a married couple.  If you have a child with a Social Security number who is younger than 17 years old you can get stimulus money for that child.