turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rushy

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

Hi @Mondy092 ,

I am also in same boat. My wife got her SSN some time in 2018 but didn't mention it in Tax returns. What options we have now? What If IRS office dont open before July 15?

Even If they open, Can we go to Office and make this change?

What is they don't open? Can we get this amount in 2021 during 2020 tax return?

dkalita
Returning Member

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

As few experts are saying that we should get it in 2021 when we file for 2020 tax year.

If it works that will be great.

pradeepshetty
Returning Member

I am in the same boat just noticed our joint tax return has my wifes ITIN instead of her SSN. Planning to file amendment form. You think we will find any luck with this ?

I am in same boat, please let me know if you find a solution.

dkalita
Returning Member

I learned that amendment would not work as it take 8-12 weeks to process. By that time we can file for 2020 Tax in 2021 and then we might  get the stimulus check if we are lucky though. 

Please let me know if you are able to visit local IRS office and rectify it. I am in same boat.

AWIN

Did you get any response from IRS for the letter you sent.Am also with the same situation

AWIN

Did you try any method to change?Anything worked?

Gerald88

hi Mondy, any luck? On the same boat and just want to check any update?

Gerald88

Hi Rushy, any luck? On the same boat just want to check.

I just called the IRS now and they will send a letter within 30 days about merging the SSN and ITIN. The person I talked to on the phone didn't seem to think the past returns would be updated to replace the ITIN with the SSN, however. My local TAC is still closed unfortunately.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

You will not receive an economic impact payment this year, but you can claim one when you file your 2020 tax return in 2021.

Past returns will not be updated, only the current year return is updated. 

@JGene

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just talked to the IRS and they said since my return had an ITIN in 2018 that the disqualification was final and there was no review for 2019 despite both of us having an SSN in 2019. Bummer!

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

True, BUT you can still get the money in 2021 when you file your 2020 tax return.  So, while you have to wait you haven't lost out entirely. 

@JGene

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies