Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

Amendment wouldn’t work in this case. Visiting field office is the only option

milee99jasmin
Returning Member

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

• Hi.i am us citizen and I file tax with my spouse on Feb and he had tax ID and I read we not get stimulus check ..but last month he got green card and social security number what can we do to get stimulus check can we do tax again ?     please let me what to do we both lose job I dont know what to do ..thank you

I am on same boat .I filed with wife ITIN number and now she has SSN .I have to file amendment to IRS with SSN. 

I m not an expert on these but based on my conversation with my tax consultant, an amendment is needed only when there is a change to your income or deductions. IRS has very specifically instructed on the process of changing ITIN to SSN by sending a letter to IRS Texas office requesting them to update the records. I have already mailed them the letter. Below is the process

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information

I am thinking to mail the document. What's is CP565? 

It's your ITIN document. Pls be sure to send a photocopy of your ITIN not your original

milee99jasmin
Returning Member

Thank you all of you to answer I did send tax and copy of ssn my spouse to IRS I hope is ok ..if anything you know please let me know I didnt know english too good ..thank you so much for all your info.

If anyone on the return has an ITIN, NO ONE receives a stimulus payment, unless one spouse was a member of the military during 2019.

Dumb policymakers.

They are unable to differentiate between who is employed and who is not, who actually needs stimulus and who doesn't. ITIN based people are most effected but they won't get any stimulus and here many still employed people with ITIN holding spouse who was unemployed even before these Corona crisis are expecting stimulus.

There are many families who have both spouses holding SSN but 1 still employed and other unemployed even before the crisis gets stimulus. Isn't crazy??? Why wasting money on families who are financial not impacted even a bit?

These decisions are completely political, no humanitarian.

satyarlenka
Returning Member

HI,

My case is L1B SSN + L2B ITIN + CHILD SSN 

I have not received stimulus amount, is there any hope if I file amendment for 2019 or in next tax season.

would be helpfull...If someone can share what had happened in 2008 

Below link says there is a bill proposed to expand stimulus to some immigrants 🙂

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/23/[product key removed]lus-checks-bill-aids-s...

Is the only way to update ITIN to SSN by mailing in copies to IRS office or can I visit local IRS field office in my city and bring the documents in?

Btw, thank you all to everyone sharing experiences.

Can we file tax amendment to update SSN?

milee99jasmin
Returning Member

At least they should give to ssn how we can live like this no job no money pay rent pay bill and I pay tax every years

All IRS field offices and Taxpayer Assistance offices are closed for now, and telephone service is not available.  It normally can take 8-12 weeks for the IRS to process amended returns, which must be filed by mail.  This season, it will very likely take much longer to process them.  There is, however, no need to amend for this purpose.  At the following link, scroll down to see how to change to an SSN.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/additional-itin-information

Considering how long it will take the IRS to process the mountain of mail they are receiving, your best bet is probably to receive the stimulus when you file taxes next year for 2020.

I am having exactly same situation. You are not able to e-file until IRS combine your new SSN to ITIN. I believe this case should be qualified based on the FAQ from IRS website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies