turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

I'm on the same boat, wife holds ITIN (applied in 2011 with H4) and SSN (applied in 2017 with Green Card) but always use ITIN to file tax. I don't even know that ITIN holder is not qualified for getting the stimulus check (they're taxpayer!) until today because IRS Get My Payment portal do allow people to enter ITIN number.

Anyway, I found this answer online:

https://youtu.be/YFzI5lGlWCY?t=277

milee99jasmin
Returning Member

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

I did online look for ...get my payment...after I wrote everything down they come up......your info not match our record is there anyone know or have same .....

I m in same boat, any update then plz share here 

Kkunc0

Hi

For 2018 return files before apr 2019 my wife had itin. My wife now has ssn,For 2019 filing this year which I haven't completed my tax filing yet due to extension till July. Question is when I file for 2019 this week with my wife's itin changed to her ssn, will I be eligible for stimulus check. Appreciate help on this

My wife and myself has SSN. my son born last year and we applied for ITIN this year by filing paper taxes. taxes are not processed yet as IRS offices are closed. Please let me know if I will be eligible for stimulus package and if yes, will i get it whenever my taxes are processed (probably 6 months from now)

pradeepshetty
Returning Member

Hi,

I have filed my tax return for 2019 as Married filed Jointly. I observed that I didn't update my wife SSN number. Instead Tax Consultant put the ITIN number. As per IRS guidelines if we file the tax return as Married Jointly and if any of the spouse has an ITIN number during tax filing we will not be eligible to receive the stimulus payment.Is there any way where I can get the stimulus payment since we have a valid SSN number like tax amendment or going to IRS office?

Please let me know your input on this.

PKS

dkalita
Returning Member

We also have the same situation. We have sent a letter to combine the ITIN and SSN. But not sure it will help for the stimulus check. Please let us know if you get any update.

Thanks

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This FAQ site may update to answer your question.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pradeepshetty
Returning Member

As per my knowledge you are eligible(both) for the check.

dkalita
Returning Member

But will they consider it after receiving our letter since we have sent the letter to combine ITIN and SSN yesterday only to combine ? That's what I am wondering.

dkalita
Returning Member

Did you update the ITIN with SSN ? And did you know once they receive the letter to combine ITIN and SSN now will reconsider for the benefits.

Thanks

pradeepshetty
Returning Member

I had a discussion with my Tax consultant and he told me that stimulus package is 2020 advanced tax credit. if you don't get now you will get next year. I sent the ITIN and SSN copy to IRS as well as amendment to update the SSN. I am planing to go to IRS office once it is opened.

dkalita
Returning Member

That's sounds good. However as far I understood there is no crystal clear answer in this issue. Let see ehat happens. Any update from you please share. Thanks

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

We do not currently believe that filing an amendment will generate an advance economic impact payment (stimulus) being sent. In part, this is because under normal circumstances an amended return takes 12-16 weeks to process and returns are not currently being processed.

By the time processing resumes, it is entirely possible that these will not be completed until after year-end. 

However, the payments are technically an advance of a credit on your 2020 return so taxpayers who file their 2020 tax return with social security numbers for their spouses, or file a return separately from their spouse who has an ITIN, should receive the credit on the 2020 return that will be filed in 2021.

I realize that's not as good as getting the payment now, but at least I hope it's at least a little bit of good news to know that the payment can be received, although significantly delayed. 

@dkalita

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dkalita
Returning Member

Thank you so much for your detail reply. That's good news though. I appreciate your advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies