turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a job (w-2) and also owned a single member LLC which I have cancelled within 12 months of formation. What version of TT is best for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I have a job (w-2) and also owned a single member LLC which I have cancelled within 12 months of formation. What version of TT is best for me?

I depends whether your single-member LLC had any income or expenses in the 2 months of existence.

If your LLC did not have any income or expenses in 2019, then there is need to report it in your tax return. You can then file your tax return using the Free edition of TurboTax (or the Deluxe or Premier depending on whether you have any other income or deductions).

If your LLC had income only and no expenses, you can report the income on Schedule C of your personal return using TurboTax Deluxe.

If your LLC had expenses to claim, you'll have to use TurboTax Self-Employed.

Please see this comparison between the different versions of TurboTax online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I depends whether your single-member LLC had any income or expenses in the 2 months of existence.

If your LLC did not have any income or expenses in 2019, then there is need to report it in your tax return. You can then file your tax return using the Free edition of TurboTax (or the Deluxe or Premier depending on whether you have any other income or deductions).

If your LLC had income only and no expenses, you can report the income on Schedule C of your personal return using TurboTax Deluxe.

If your LLC had expenses to claim, you'll have to use TurboTax Self-Employed.

Please see this comparison between the different versions of TurboTax online.

I had some expenses nothing major but typical things, website hosting, software subscriptions etc. but no income. Is there any benefit to reporting those expenses from the LLC if there was no income?

When I start with individual tax return, I think I used deluxe before, would I get all the prompts to ensure I address any of the tax questions that the IRS would be interested in including Federal and California? I was not self-employed, I still have W-2 so I don't know if I need the desktop version and the self employed one seems like it would be for someone that did not have W-2. Sorry, I know you already told me which one to use but want to make sure. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you have expenses to claim with no income, you will have a loss for your LLC. This loss can be used to offset the income from your W-2.

You'll need to use TurboTax Self-Employed to report the expenses on Schedule C.

You have been very helpful, thank you. Last question, promise, can you file form 568 using Turbo Tax Self Employed? 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax answer which addresses your question.

TurboTax Self-Employed online is equivalent to TurboTax Home & Business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies