Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prj2141
Returning Member

I have a 1099-R from Capital Group (American Funds) that does not have an EIN on the front or back of the form. Any clues why?

Atop the address, the entity writes "PAYER'S name, address, city or town, state or province, country, ZIP or foreign postal code and telephone number". But there is no EIN listed there, nor anywhere else on the form. Is this an oversight? I cannot proceed without knowing what it is.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

I have a 1099-R from Capital Group (American Funds) that does not have an EIN on the front or back of the form. Any clues why?

The box labeled Payer's TIN is the EIN.

prj2141
Returning Member

I have a new computer now and am trying to get used to it, including signing back in to my project. also, my EIN is the last four digits of my SSN. Do I put the other numbers in or just the "XXX-XX' symbols?

Meanwhile, I am trying to re-sign into the project. I may have to start all over again.,..

Phil Johnson

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

You would put your social in.If needed,it may already be assigned to you. Most financial institutions now 'mask' your information in the xxx-xx-1234 manner.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rick69

I have the same problem and there isn't an taxpayer id anywhere on the form ??

Rick69

It doesn't have one ??

@Rick69 wrote:

It doesn't have one ??

The IRS Form 1099-R will have a box for the Payer's TIN to be entered.  What form are you looking at?

This is the IRS Form 1099-R -

Form 1099-R.JPG

I know what you mean, and I found it.  It is right below Box 7 Distribution Code.  It is a different type of 1099-R, so it was difficult to find the TIN.

Capital Group American Funds Federal ID Number NOT THE TAXPAYER or the TIN

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Did you see crnmn1's answer?  Look right below the Box 7 Distribution Code.

@HoneyBunnny

to63ny

Is the payer's tin number the federal tax number

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the payer's TIN is the federal tax number.  The correct format for the number is XX-XXXXXXX.

Did you ever get this EIN? I am dealing with this situation right now and my return keeps rejecting with every EIN number I enter! I guess I can't find the one that matches the IRS database and the 1099 didn't have one listed.

I know what you mean, and I found it.  It is right below Box 7 Distribution Code.  It is a different type of 1099-R, so it was difficult to find the TIN.

Thank you.  I thought I was going crazy

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies